System Administrator Skills update

greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
edited March 2021 in Azure
Hey Guys I am starting a job as a system admin in about a month and would like to update some of my certs. I have my MCSA server 2012 R2 and would like some recommendations on the relevant Microsoft exam that would closely align with server 2019. I am confused because of all the new certs I see on the Microsoft exam website. I am also looking to get a database cert and upgrade from VMware 5.5 cert I had and would like to update that also. What do you guys recommend?
:
Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
Tagged:

Comments

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey man, long time no see!

I can't speak much of the server side of things but seeing how they have retired almost everything, I'd look toward something related to Azure account management/administration. They are on a push for everyone to migrate to Azure.

As far as the database side, I was currently studying for 70-764 when it was yanked. Fortunately, I stumbled on a Webinar from Microsoft about Azure SQL and it was hosted by Bob Ward who has been with the SQL and Azure teams for a long time and he was plugging his book Azure SQL Revealed. From what he said, the book more than covers the Azure SQL side enough to get through the Fundamentals and maybe the Administer SQL Services in Azure. Needless to say, I bought the book and so far it is pretty good. From what I've seen so far, SQL server is SQL server and AD is AD whether it is in house or in Azure. A couple clients from my previous employer had their small AD environment in Azure and it was just like working with 2012 AD.

Hope this gets you on your way!
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You will need to start from scratch for VMware. That means doing the course for version 7
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    itdept said:
    You will need to start from scratch for VMware. That means doing the course for version 7
    Thanks for the heads up. Will need to look for a cost effective course to meet the education requirement.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.