PT1-002: CompTIA PenTest+ Certification Beta Exam

trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just received an email for new beta.
Booked for May
I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

Comments

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ditto, only online proctoring in my area, but that works.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Did you receive the email from CompTIA or Pearson Vue?
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Any place where we can register for this beta exam?
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go to: https://home.pearsonvue.com/comptia

Select "PT1-002: CompTIA PenTest+ Certification Beta Exam" from the exam catalog.

2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    Did you receive the email from CompTIA or Pearson Vue?
    From CompTIA

SteveLavoie said:
    Any place where we can register for this beta exam?
    PearsonVUE

• jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Took the beta today found it on Pearson's site last week and scheduled. My test was heavy on NMAP and the various switches. Really annoying The code snippits are crazy if you don't code and like never figured out where to enter my answer on some of the questions. The questions were being overlayed on top of the selections a lot of back and forth really made it confusing. The testing site had 20 inch monitors which is horrible for scenario based testing. 
    Took the beta today found it on Pearson's site last week and scheduled. My test was heavy on NMAP and the various switches. Really annoying The code snippits are crazy if you don't code and like never figured out where to enter my answer on some of the questions. The questions were being overlayed on top of the selections a lot of back and forth really made it confusing. The testing site had 20 inch monitors which is horrible for scenario based testing. 
    ty, for sharing the exam exp

The questions were being overlayed on top of the selections a lot of back and forth really made it confusing.

You just described a feature of the Cloud+ beta exam we all took last year. :D
    JDMurray said:
    The questions were being overlayed on top of the selections a lot of back and forth really made it confusing.

You just described a feature of the Cloud+ beta exam we all took last year. :D
    Yep took that one and passed it. Same crazy stuff really annoying. Hoping for a CASP beta to come up. This pen test coding stuff is not my game. 
    Yep took that one and passed it. 
    Do you have results for Cloud+ beta?

• AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmm... no PenTest+ e-mail and I don't see anything about the beta on CompTIA's site, but I do see it on Pearson VUE so I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Eston21 said:
    Oh, yep, sure enough, there it is!  

Anyway, looks like you can take the exam between now and the end of June.  I signed up for a May exam date to give me about a month to prep and some buffer to re-schedule if necessary.  We'll see how it goes.
    trojin said:
    Yep took that one and passed it. 
    Do you have results for Cloud+ beta?
    Yep I passed the Cloud+ beta when it was out and CySA+ when it came out also. 
    Yep I passed the Cloud+ beta when it was out and CySA+ when it came out also. 

You took the Cloud beta exam in 2016? We're talking about the Cloud+ beta exam given in 2020. Those results won't be released until June 2021.
    I passed too in 2016. it doesn't count anymore :)

• FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Copy/pasting from my private blog:

A little under three years have passed since I last took the CompTIA Pentest+ exam. Like last time, I took the beta-version of the exam. Just like last time, I decided to go into the exam completely blank, only taking a glance at the official objectives beforehand.

The OnVue at-home testing experience offered by PearsonVue, like always, was decent. The tooling works well enough, the proctor was communicative, waiting times weren't too bad. The software feels kind of intrusive, as to what it wants to do on your laptop, but at least it didn't want me to install anything, nor does it require admin-level rights.

As to the exam itself, my experiences mirror what I felt back in 2018:
    • It feels like there's an over-reliance on NMap and its flags. The objectives state that 30% of your score comes from Attacks & Exploits, with a further 16% coming from Tools and Code Analysis. In my test, it felt like NMap-related questions made up 10-15% of the total question base. That doesn't sit right with me, but of course my impressions could be wrong.
    • A very small amount of questions were not good, from a test-taker perspective. Some were overly wordy, with long run-on sentences. Others either had zero correct answers (due to syntax mistakes), or made little sense logically.
    • The PBQs (performance based questions) were similar to last time, with the one I disliked the most making a re-appearance. It's one where you have to both categorize and remediate 7-10 vulnerabilities, where in some cases all responses are sub-optimal.
    I feel that the PT1-002 exam needs some polishing and a few corrections, but overall the level of difficulty and the type of questions asked do in fact do a fairly good job at testing someone with 2-3 years of pentesting experience.

I'm curious whether I've passed! As was said: I went in without preparation and there's definitely a number of objective areas where I don't have experience.
    Remember that you took a beta exam. Betas help certification vendors test potential exam items with real exam takers. You see a preponderance of exam items referring the same concept because the vendor is attempting to determine which of those (experimental) items to include in the (production) exam item pool. There is also an imbalance of 'too easy' and 'too difficult' and 'too confusing' items on betas because the cert vendor is looking to identify and drop the edge cases before the exam is released to the general public. When taking a beta exam, you are helping to create the exam item pool for the initial public release of the exam, not taking the initial public release of the exam itself.
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You know? You make a fair point JDM!

While I may have been fully aware of what you explained, a few of the pieces didn't fit together yet. You're right! The fact that I got so many NMap questions may definitely mean they just want to weed out a (large) number of the questions that are sub-optimal.