New CASP+ Beta avialable

trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just received an invitation:

Don’t forget to register for the CompTIA CASP+ Beta Exam before it’s too late! 

If you take the CompTIA CASP+ (CAS-004) Beta exam, you:

• Earn the new certification at no cost
  • CompTIA will pay you $200!
I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I don't see CAS-004 in my Pearson VUE CompTIA dashboard yet. Any release date in that email?
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it's a closed beta. :/ I don't have that email either.
  • Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems it is for selected participants only

• balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I got all excited for nothing ..... :)
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's a link at a survey to apply  at  this other forum but it's old (Feb 16, 2021), good luck. https://cin.comptia.org/threads/new-casp-update.368/

balance said:
    I got all excited for nothing ..... :)
    I'm very sorry...
    Usually betas are open

Eh, I did the survey and we'll see what happens. I'm still wondering why I never get emails about CompTIA betas but do about everything else "+".
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I also completed the survey .  Thanks for the information. 
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I also did the survey, doubt I will hear back but you never know.. Thanks for sharing
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    Eh, I did the survey and we'll see what happens. I'm still wondering why I never get emails about CompTIA betas but do about everything else "+".
    Same here.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Same here..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    trojin said:
    I was about to sign up for it, but saw that only US residents are eligible. Oh well..
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
    trojin said:
    I was about to sign up for it, but saw that only US residents are eligible. Oh well..
     I do not this so, I'm in Ireland

• FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    trojin said:
    Aye, officially the closed betas (Data+, CASP+) are US-residents only. It's silly and I don't like it.

Being from the Netherlands I signed up via the questionnaire and was not picked. I managed to get into the Beta nonetheless, via the instructors network (CIN). Let's see how the beta goes; I'm curious.
    Cannot comment about questions but final exam seems to be more interesting than previous versions

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took the survey as well. Hopefully I will be lucky.
  • XiPXiP Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Signed up. Hopefully selected, thanks.
    M.Sc, CISSP-ISSAP/ISSEP/ISSMP, CCSP, CCAK, CCSK, CSSLP, CFE, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, CDPSE, ITCA, ITIL, COBIT, PMP, CBP, FPT, CIPP/US, CIPM, CIPT, ACE, CEH, CSM, CSPO, NSE1, NSE2, AZ900, MB901, AI900, DP900, MS900, PCEP, ITF+, A+, Cloud+, Security+, Network+, CCAP, CIOS, CSCP, CSIS
    They extended time till 24 of May 

I managed to sneak my way in :D 

Here's a few things I took away from the CAS-004 beta.

• On MacOS the instruction on PBQs (performance based questions) to ctrl-click for multiple selections does not work. On MacOS that is a right-click. The usual replacement cmd-click also did not work. The proctor did not have a solution for me, so questions that require multiple selections on MacOS are an automatic (partial) fail.
    • There was a post-exploit question about persistence where "the attacker got root on windows". That by and of itself is an error, but it muddied the whole question: should I look for Unix-based answers, or Windows? Because which part of the question was wrong? "root" or "windows"?
    • There was a question about SSH access log analysis, which did not show the actual logging. There was a question, there was a bit of explanation, but the actual logs were not shown.
    • Many questions were frustrating to parse: the language or formulation used, made it hard to piece together the situation / question. Some questions I had to reread five times.
    • Many questions about vulnerabilities focus on "input validation" as the "correct, best solution". In many cases it is not. For SQLi, it's parametrized queries. For XXE, it's disabling unsafe features and settings like external entity parsing. 
    • A good thing: no questions stood out as being out-dated. There's no antiquated stuff and plenty of cloud.

The exam gave me three hours time and took me between a bit less than two hours to power through without going back to any questions. There were plenty "bad" questions in there (see above) and a few where I honestly would not know the answer. Since this is a beta I decided to pludge it without studying any of the books or materials.

I have similar impression but in overall looks better than previous versions

Those are some great QA observations. Was there an exam feature to give feedback on individual questions?
    edited May 2021
    JDMurray said:
    Those are some great QA observations. Was there an exam feature to give feedback on individual questions?
    No, not really. There's a "comment" button at the top, like with every CompTIA exam, but I think those are for personal use and they are not stored for use by CompTIA. I left plenty comments, but doubt anyone will ever see them :smiley:

Hmmm...I would assume the comments go to the exam vendor (CompTIA), but maybe they go to exam provider (Pearson VUE) instead.
    Beta results released today  B)

Yesterday actually :D And: Passed :) 
    I received today only  :(

But still pass  :D