Options

Does CCNP Security renewal count towards Security+ renewal?

thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
Let’s say you have Security+ and you renew it with CCNP Security along with paying the CEU fees.  

At the next Security+ renewal can you renew it by renewing your CCNP Security or do you have to use one of the other approved exams?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I don't know of a cert vendor that will accepted CPEs from passing another cert vendor's exams. Each cert vendor wants you to take more of their own exams.
    Also, the CCNP Security cert was retired on Febuary 24, 2020. Can you even renew it now or do you need to take new exams?
  • Options
    CompTIA gives CEUs for completing non-CompTIA certifications.  However, you still have to pay renewal fees.  Here’s the list they accept for Security+:

https://www.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security

The exams on the page you listed were retired, but CCNP Security is still an active certification with new exams:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/professional/ccnp-security-v2.html

I don’t think you can renew the old version, but if it’s like the CCNP R&S then they gave the new version to existing CCNP security holders.

For this particular question I’m asking specifically about the new CCNP Security certification track.  I know it will give me enough CEUs to renew my Security+ which expires next year.  However, I’m wondering when I renew my CCNP Security if the renewal will count as CEUs towards the subsequent Security+ renewal in 2025.  Of course this assumes in 2025 CompTIA is still giving CEUs for CCNP Security.

• Options
    I uploaded my CCNP Security cert into CompTIA’s CEU system and there was a sentence about how certs must show the date they were received or the renewal date.  It seems like they will accept a CCNP Security renewal for CEUs.  

However, Cisco certs don’t show a renewal date. You just download a new cert and it has the original date the certification was earned with a new expiration date.  I guess you would have to upload the original Cisco cert and new cert to show the cert was renewed?  However, that’s not really an explicit renewal date and leaves room for CompTIA to say it doesn’t count should they ever audit.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray said:
    I don't know of a cert vendor that will accepted CPEs from passing another cert vendor's exams. Each cert vendor wants you to take more of their own exams.
    I do, passing the CISSP will automatically give me the CPE's I need to renew two GIAC certifications. I assume you referring to the CPE credit required to keep the certifications current, not the fees involved to do so. However I don't think there a relationship between Microsoft and Cisco, like GIAC and ISC has.   
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.