Options

Any new details or experiences with CyberOps Pro?

Kjelie_itKjelie_it Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
edited March 2021 in Cisco CyberOps
In fairness, I posted this to reddit already but I noticed quite a few more than helpful discussions being had here on this forum, so please dont take offense if youve seen this question already. I saw no prior discussions yet there for the Pro cert

I understand that the 350-201 CBRCOR & 300-215 CBRFIR are new but im wondering if anyone can say where these certs will stack up when it comes to DoD 8570 Recognition when i can assume will happen at some point.
Also, would CyberOps Pro be considered an intermediate/Journeyman level certification?
Im trying to weigh whether I just take a leap of progression as I have a 4yr Networking degree, Sec+ and Im in a SOC role now, skipping Cysa+/CCNA/CyberOps Asso. which are DoD 8570 and move on to CISSP.

Im wondering also about the overlap of all mentioned certs or will I miss out on something considerable with the jump

I also want to say that over my near 10 years of "professional" IT experience, I have touched networking configs very little. My linux skills only include navigating SNORT to configure rules and the occasional port scanning/listening, iptables stuff

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    edited March 2021
    You mention "DoD 8570 Recognition for CCNA CyberOps Pro." The latest DoD 8570.01-m manual's cert list was created before there was a CyberOps Professional certification. Also note that this cert list has not been updated with the new Cisco CCNA/CCNP "CyberOps" cert tracks to replace the old Cisco "Cyber Ops" and CCNA/CCNP Security certs that were retired in February 2020. I think it is likely that the 8570.01-m cert list will not be updated until 8140 is finally ratified in 2021. Then you may see some official policy on CyberOps Associate vs Professional.

Are you following a career path that includes working IT for the DoD or DoD contractors, or are you just using 8570.01-m as a blueprint for your own role-based certification studies?

• Options
    JDMurray said:

Are you following a career path that includes working IT for the DoD or DoD contractors, or are you just using 8570.01-m as a blueprint for your own role-based certification studies?

Yes, I was only using it to gauge it's acceptance as I make my way to CISSP. And I don't believe I have the necessary credits to redeem the CISSP after passing an exam so I was looking for an intermediate cert with good overlap of CISSP topics. My goal is to be in the threat hunting , incident handling realm. I know theres the CASP but it appears the entire CompTIA line just doesn't hold much water with actual tech heads. And while SSCP under CISSP, I don't see that cert being looked for in the region Im looking for work in.
  • Options
    Every hiring manager and HR department has different asks for certs. You must be looking at job posting for situations that you would want to work in. What certs are being asked for besides the CISSP? Security+, GSEC, C|EH, etc? You won't find many threat hunting or incident response positions that rely on certification. IR/TH/Red Team managers are looking for real-world experience and not people who can pass cert exams. If you need practice in these fields, you should look at the objectives for certs like PenTest+, GCIH, and OSCP. Not that you'll get these certs, but the topics are excellent to know for what you want to work in.

• Options
    JDMurray said:
    Every hiring manager and HR department has different asks for certs. You must be looking at job posting for situations that you would want to work in. What certs are being asked for besides the CISSP? Security+, GSEC, C|EH, etc? You won't find many threat hunting or incident response positions that rely on certification. IR/TH/Red Team managers are looking for real-world experience and not people who can pass cert exams. If you need practice in these fields, you should look at the objectives for certs like PenTest+, GCIH, and OSCP. Not that you'll get these certs, but the topics are excellent to know for what you want to work in.

For the most part jobs in the region seems to want applicants with multiple IAT Level II certifications and a few years of Information security experience. I did not intend to leave my current SOC role soon to move so I'm trying to best prepare myself to compete in that area
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    IAT Level II certs: CCNA Cyber Ops, CySA+, GICSP, GSEC, Security+ CE, CND, SSCP
    These certs are mostly for InfoSec generalist/operations and are not likely to be resume candy for an IR/TH job. For those roles I'd stick with PenTest+, GCIH, and OSCP. Also learn APT, MITRE ATT&CK, Kill chain, how to pop boxes, threat modelling (for threat intel, not risk management), and how to run an incident investigation as an incident commander. That's a good start. ;)

• Options
    I think short term I'm going to hop onto the Cysa+ train for the resume check  but get a couple books on Incident Response
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    10 years in IT and you're at a SOC. There's got to be enough work experience in there to argue CISSP candidate qualification. But if you feel you need a middle-ish cert, I'd suggest CySA+, then onto CISSP. I'm not at a SOC, but I'd like to think that CySA+ material aligns well with being in a SOC so learning bonus there.

As for skipping right to Cyber Ops Pro; the reason to skip is because the cert recognition is so valuable it's worth bypassing the learning journey benefit of the lower certs (assuming costs are negligble and they aren't always). But Cyber Ops Pro basically has no recognition. So might as well enjoy the learning journey the lower certs provide you.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Well that's what my supervisor said aswell. I have two CISSP vets at my disposal to vouch but I havent taken the actual time yet to determine if my previous roles will say for certain I've done to 2(?) Domains.

I saw the CCNA cyberops on the DoD list so I thought for sure the pro would make the cut but like you mentioned, there's no recognition for it ...yet
  • Options
    All you need is for your (one) endorser to vouch that you meet the professional requirements of the CISSP and you are good to go for the full certification.
  • Options
    gilchriggilchrig Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed 200-201
    CCENT/CCNA/CCDA/CISCO CERTIFIED CYBER-OPS ASSOCIATE/ COMPTIA A+/COMPTIA SECURITY+/COMPTIA PROJECT+/CLOUD ESSENTIALS/ ITIL/CIW/LINUX ESSENTIALS/VMWARE CERTIFIED PRO 6.5/EMCISA/EMCIE/MCP
  • Options
    Congratz! Thoughts about the CBROPS exam?
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass! What are your thoughts on the certification experience?

Any additional study materials or just used the course content materials?

Thanks for your input!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX