Just got the call, being ask to go back into the office

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
edited June 2021 in IT Jobs / Degrees
I'm asking for 3 weeks transition time, I don't think this will be a problem, in fact I am almost a 100% that time line with fly.  I really don't want to go back to the office.  I've been in this role for ~17 months (so a 1.5 years after I return), thoughts on applying for higher level position that are exclusively remote?  Does that move stink in your opinion?  Is 17 months enough time to look for another internal position?  

I'm pretty bummed out.  I put 10 - 15 k price tag on WFH, full time.

Thoughts?  Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited June 2021
    I'm been partly remote since the pandemic started. I was going in 2 or 3 days a week at first, than every day during a refueling outage, now it's more like 3 or 4.  I was occasionally working from home before, when I was waiting for a delivery or contractor, but not to this degree. My commune really isn't that bad,so I'm not all that upset.   .
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I would like to start going back in to the office and will likely be able to do so by the end of this year. However, return-to-office will be voluntary for the foreseeable future, and most (cybersecurity) people in the office where I work will choose not to do return because they can do their jobs as well--if not better--from home. A lot of people have also realized cost savings ($30-200+/mon) from eliminating their weekday commute and do not want that expense again.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray said:
    I would like to start going back in to the office and will likely be able to do so by the end of this year. However, return-to-office will be voluntary for the foreseeable future, and most (cybersecurity) people in the office where I work will choose not to do return because they can do their jobs as well--if not better--from home. A lot of people have also realized cost savings ($30-200+/mon) from eliminating their weekday commute and do not want that expense again.
    Maybe I should get into a cyber security role.  Does knowing data modeling, SQL, Python and VBA give me a punchers chance or do I need to get off my lazy azz and study one of those crazy certs.  ;)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    With a software development background, you are looking at "security engineering" roles, such as writing dashboard apps, authoring SIEM content, and automating systems used by security operations teams. That's a good ticket into a cybersecurity department; from there you can plan how you will move around to other cybersecurity specialties.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I for one welcomed the going back to the office. Never thought this day would come but I was working remote even before the pandemic hit, and I definitely noticed that I'm missing out on certain elements.

I'm back in the office 3 x days a week (well not now due to yet another lockdown), but I know I will be soon.

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have been working from home permanently since March 2020 and it has been fine for me. I even joined a new team in February and have been able to excel. Sucks that the only people I have met are the ones I worked with in a previous team, but I have been effective with building relationships remotely. 

In September I plan to begin a new role (same employer, different team) and I hope to continue working from home. Since my work will continue to be meeting based which can be facilitated via Microsoft Teams, I only want to go to the office to make use of the gym lol. At my payscale I receive a mobility budget of 700+ euros per month so it would be nice to continue pocketing that instead of using it on commuting to the office. I feel like I am a lot more productive from home plus I like just already being home with my family when my day ends. Prior to the pandemic I always came and went as I saw fit because since 2018 I stopped having roles that required me to be on an operational shift all day. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
     Is 17 months enough time to look for another internal position?  

I think it's plenty, especially considering it's internal. I brought my whole team completely remote, we already were a few days a week pre quarantine and we all work better that way. Social contact is a thing so we're all local we meet up in a park once a month and will start doing team lunches instead when the last holdout gets vaccinated. But yes, I agree I put a huge value on staying remote and told our execs they will 100% lose staff if they go back on it, myself included. 
    JDMurray said:
    With a software development background, you are looking at "security engineering" roles, such as writing dashboard apps, authoring SIEM content, and automating systems used by security operations teams. That's a good ticket into a cybersecurity department; from there you can plan how you will move around to other cybersecurity specialties.
    JD when you get a chance could you link a position that would fit that criteria.   Just one when you get the time.  Doesn't matter where in the country I just wanted to get a feel for what I should be looking for.  
    @Danielm7 - Thanks for the feedback.  I appreciate your insights, they were helpful.  
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just accepted a remote position with company based in New England. Entirely remote. My former employer just made WFH a permanent option. After having worked remote through most of the Pandemic I can honestly say I miss the office. For me, the perfect combination would be 2 to 3 days in the office. I miss the in-person camaraderie and the friendships that more naturally develop. That being said, WFH has been good for my family and I'm definitely saving money.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
     WFH has been good for my family and I'm definitely saving money.
    This has been the tipping point for me. Being able to walk my kids to school instead of rushing out of the door in the morning has been priceless for me. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    I wish I was that close. During school days I still have to drive.
    Email sent to my boss being completely honest about the situation.  Squeak wheels get the grease, etc....  lol   

I also have two interviews with Banks in my area.  Pay is significant curious to see what they can offer.  
    edited June 2021
    I would argue that now is a great time. I'm seeing places hiring for permanent remote that never would have considered doing it before.
    I would argue that now is a great time. I'm seeing places hiring for permanent remote that never would have considered doing it before.
    Agree, looking for at least 80% remote and 30% increase in pay.  
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The pandemic was good to me. I am getting back 3 hours per day. My sleep cycle is better. I even lost 20 pounds since remote work started. I realized all of those things have way too much value. As a result of that I am in the "heck no, I'm not going back to the office" crew.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I've been lucky enough to work mostly remote for my IT career, including exclusively 2010-2013, and since 2016. I will never go back to a full-time office job. Pretty bold claim, but as noted above, especially with walking/taking kids to school, taking and having lunch with my kids at school, more time to exercise in the AM, I realized those benefits years ago. And the only way I'm considering a job that goes into the office at all would be for a management position. I do feel the same way about the social aspect, and doing lunch/chatting with co-workers, and man do I love coming in after a weekend and talking football and other sports, but that is not enough to go into the office. I put about a $50k value on FT remote, and $30k for partial, so there is an amount I'm willing to take a salary cut to maintain that. And also, being able to have my secondary monitor setup and start daytrading has made it that much likelier that I may not have to work for a corporation sooner than later, let alone be concerned with working remote/in-office  ;)
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Went back 100% to the office about a 2 months ago. Wished it was a hybrid situation with 3 days at the office and 2 remote. Oh well....
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    edited July 2021
    chrisone said:
    Went back 100% to the office about a 2 months ago. Wished it was a hybrid situation with 3 days at the office and 2 remote. Oh well....
    I was flat out blunt with my boss, of course polite but stated if I had to go back full time I would be looking for a new remote role internally and if that didn't come to fruition then external.  One day later I got a call back and we agreed that I would work remote, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday for starters.  If it wasn't working out we would consider Wednesday as well.  

I honestly don't mind going in once a week.  But that is all.  

Just wanted to keep you posted.  
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's is good you were able to work that out. I just started with this new employer so I don't really have much seniority to ask for anything lol 

I am closing in on year one, going to reevaluate the market in 2 more years. Not saying I want to leave but its good to understand your market value once in a while. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    edited July 2021
    chrisone said:
    That's is good you were able to work that out. I just started with this new employer so I don't really have much seniority to ask for anything lol 

I am closing in on year one, going to reevaluate the market in 2 more years. Not saying I want to leave but its good to understand your market value once in a while. 
    Don't be fearful ask about working home on Friday's.  Say it would help a lot with you work life balance, you'll be surprised what happens when you ask.  The squeaky wheel gets the oil.