Trend of Having Multiple Remote Jobs In Cybersecurity

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
edited July 2021 in IT Jobs / Degrees

Hello all,

So a few of my buddies have said that the trend in cybersecurity field is for people to have multiple remote jobs. He said some even have up to three different jobs, and that is a well-known trend.  So I'm missing the bus on this one.  To the question - If somebody does want to explore this what is the recommended combination/configuration/type of cybersecurity roles that you can choose to successfully work multiple remote jobs.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know that this is a "well known trend" at all. Some people have only a few hours of actual work to do a day, so they juggle. I doubt it's all that common, I mean how do you just tell 3 companies you're not available and have blocked schedule time all over the place because you're also working 2 other jobs? 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I think the most common "2nd remote job" these days is day trading. ;)
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    I think the most common "2nd remote job" these days is day trading. ;)

JD I'm talking specifically in cybersecurity.  The multiple remote job trend is something I was told is being spurred by the shortage of skilled cybersecurity professionals and the rising need for security and compliance.
    I'm already double- and triple-booked for meetings with one management job. As a consultant, you can work 24/7 and control your lines of communication as you wish. This is easier to do now that 100% remote is far more common--for now.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    It's certainly possible. There is a legal issue with it as most contract (at least where I live) demand that you can't work for another company etc etc...but people do it.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Swimfan2516Swimfan2516 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work one management job and will work a part-time teaching job (some nights and some weekends) very soon. It's possible.
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I work one management job and will work a part-time teaching job (some nights and some weekends) very soon. It's possible.

Both the teaching job and management jobs are remote?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What are we talking about here, two or more day jobs?  I have a day job, two teaching jobs, plus consulting gigs. They never conflict with each other. I cant imagine more than one day job, even if part time. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you are needed for both at the same time. I've been doing security for a while and things rarely adhere to a set schedule.
    I've been doing security for a while and things rarely adhere to a set schedule.

Especially in security operations. Badness hits the fan 24/7/365!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This seems crazy, but everyone is different. I have no desire for a second job :)