Sanity Check - Job Offer

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
edited July 2021 in IT Jobs / Degrees
My go to guys and gals for potential offers.  

I am currently in a position right now with a healthcare provider(s) have been in this position for ~17 months.  I recently had a bank reach out to me, large scale for another position, very similar to what I am doing now.  

Current Company
No paid holidays, on the nursing schedule lol.  So if we want to take off December 25th, PTO.  We get ~6 hours per 2 weeks.  No bonuses  60% remote

New offer
Paid holidays, it's a bank.  Plus additional PTO obviously, total days off per year = 26 days with PTO, whereas current job ~19.5.  Pay is only about 2% increase but.....   The new offer has a 10% bonus structure, of course prorated for myself.  Also after I get acclimated the role is 100% remote, sometimes 80% if there is a special meeting.  

The interview went well he and I hit it off.  We literally had a phone call and it was done.  Since it is banking I do feel I have a lot more upward growth, with my business BS and MS.  At the hospital a lot of the positions even some of the IT position like to have former healthcare professionals fill those roles.  Pharmacist etc...   Weird but for instant some of the EHR systems require a pharmacist due to the drug libraries in the database.  You run into those constraints a lot in healthcare I am finding out.  

Anyway I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you thought.   

And there is always this horrible project I am given October and November that requires a ton of time, like 60 hours a week....   

One of my big concerns leaving is I always felt like I always chase the carrot, a lot times it's been a good thing others not so much.  I am a little bit gun shy but all signs so far seem to point that the new role aligns with a lot of my skills.  

Building automation tools, even POC type tools like MS Access
Understanding relational databases to get access to other system and use for our team, reported, analytics.
I made it very clear my banking knowledge was 0 on the call, he said it was no issues and that the team is currently operational and I wouldn't be coming into a firestorm.  

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like you have nothing but PROs instead of CONs as to why you "SHOULD" take the new job. 

It looks like the only CON I am reading here is that you feel a little guilty for "chasing the carrot" ?

Nothing wrong with improving your situation and being happier. Oh yeah and major sad face for your current employer and your holiday/days off situation. That royally sucks. Place your happiness first. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    If you're concerned about chasing carrots, then I'd say think long and hard about it.

Is it a BIG leap career wise? or is it a bit more money and a bit more perks?

To me, I'm after big leaps (i.e. the move from individual contributor to a manager...or the move from a manager to a director....or moving from being an engineer in a local firm to an engineer in Google for example).

Small moves are great but it's a bit of carrot chasing really.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy said:
    If you're concerned about chasing carrots, then I'd say think long and hard about it.

Is it a BIG leap career wise? or is it a bit more money and a bit more perks?

To me, I'm after big leaps (i.e. the move from individual contributor to a manager...or the move from a manager to a director....or moving from being an engineer in a local firm to an engineer in Google for example).

Small moves are great but it's a bit of carrot chasing really.
    This IMO maybe your best post at least pertaining to me and my direction.  This is exactly what I plan on doing.  It's not about years of service after having time to think about it (don't get me wrong it's nice to have 3 years at one job) but it's more along the lines of the next role.  Are you moving from analyst to developer or administrator or engineer?  That's the difference that's when you should move.  

Even if you were at a job for 11 months (that's pretty bad TBH) if you went from analyst to developer its soooooo easy to explain no one could say anything about it.  But if that was analyst to analyst......   :/  

JMHO

Tomorrow I am going to conclude with the new company it's not my cup of tea and will remain where I am however......   This is where it gets interesting.  I am going to reach out to HR first and find out what the culture is like on internal movement.  1.5 years acceptable for movement, I am there right now that's why I am using that timeframe.  Once I get all those pieces of information I can formulate a plan.  In fact I am going to have a talk with my boss that I want to transition into another role within a year and wanted to let her know before transitioning so she isn't blind sided.  I may lose some leverage but will make up a lot more with my candid communication an honesty.  

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I understand not jumping around to similar positions, but at the same time there’s also consideration for being stuck at a company with no promotion potential. 

I guess you already took that into consideration since you’re talking to their HR department about it.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Great and congratz!  When do you start?
    edited July 2021
    JDMurray said:
    Great and congratz!  When do you start?
    This is where it gets a little weird.  They want me to start on the 9th of august but I need the background check to comeback and drug test.  I don't use weed or anything but I still don't like to leave anything to chance.  Once that is all completed and confirmed then I'll put my notice in immediately.  

I called the HR person (left a message) and asked for an extension to start on the 16th.  
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Happy you didn't stay complacent and reached for better opportunities! 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    They want me to start on the 9th of august but I need the background check to comeback and drug test.

They'll run a computer background check first (financial, law enforcement, threat intel, etc.) which has quick results. If you comeback as acceptable from that, they may let you start working before the results of your p*ss-in-a-bottle test come back. You may not get full access to tools/information until you are fully cleared, but there's probably lots of online training materials to keep you occupied until well past that point.

edited July 2021
    @chrisone @JDMurray

My wife and I had decided to move to Florida and I went from making 140,000 a year to 62 k.  No lie, I took a contract for 6 months turned down a position at the time with the company I am going to now, and then the contract went South.  :(

2.5 months of unemployment it was down to this role or another one and I choose this to relax a little and not getting killed, well it wasn't bad but a lot busier than I expected and I had told myself you will remain here for 2 years to keep your employment history looking good, but then this role came to a knocking and I just gotta do it now.   It's time.  The pay is 100,000 getting closer to where I was before.....

I just don't want to put notice in before everything is signed sealed and delivered.