Listing "Freelance" as experience?

sanitybreakssanitybreaks Registered Users Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
So far I have 2 I.T positions as work-study student. Those positions entailed imaging computers, deploying them throughout all facilities owned by my county. I repaired computer components, replaced hard drives, etc. I was also introduced to SCCM and Active Directory.

But the thing is, I will be graduating in December and currently have no I.T role. I will have an Associates in I.T and my A+ by end of year.

So, right now, I am just sharpening my skills by running Microsoft Server 2016 labs through Virtual Box, so I can practice up on Active Directory. I am also watching educational videos on SCCM and Active Directory. I managed to let my neighbors allow me to fix their laptops as well. Question is:
Could I list this as recent I.T experience on my resume as maybe "Freelance I.T Technician"? 

I am looking to get into Help Desk and expand from their.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    How about something more technical, such as Consulting or Independent IT technician?
    The word "freelance" is a bit too vague and old fashion for me.
  • sanitybreakssanitybreaks Registered Users Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    How about something more technical, such as Consulting or Independent IT technician?
    The word "freelance" is a bit too vague and old fashion for me.
    Ahh, Touchè. I haven't thought about that. Would it give me a higher chance of landing a help desk role?

Thanks
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Absolutely! That is actual experience you can place on a resume. I'm not sure if I would put it in as "freelance", though either. You could just add it as experience and explain that it was a work-study gig during the interview process. If you don't "technically" have a title, maybe ask who you report to what it could be considered as (Computer Service Tech, etc.) and let them know you'd like to use it on a resume. Also, a letter of recommendation could be helpful, just have to ask.

Sounds like you have a nice plan and got some great experience, good luck!
    edited July 2021
    In landing a job? No, not at all. But at this point, you are just trying to be invited into a first-round interview with a hiring manager. Upgrading any trite expressions on your resume/CV could certainly help get your (virtual) foot into the interview room's door. Once in the interview, it's all about your presentation, presentation, and presentation. ;)
    JDMurray said:
    In landing a job? No, not at all. But at this point, you are just trying to be invited into a first-round interview with a hiring manager. Upgrading any trite expressions on your resume/CV could certainly help get your (virtual) foot into the interview room's door. Once in the interview, it's all about your presentation, presentation, and presentation. ;)
    Dress nice and ace the interview right?
    edited July 2021
    Well, when I remote-interview candidates for cybersecurity analyst jobs, I don't use webcams. Looks shouldn't matter--especially with 100% WfH positions. Nicely dressing doesn't solve my work problems. Take that for what you think it's worth.
    JDMurray said:
    Well, when I remote-interview candidates for cybersecurity analyst jobs, I don't use webcams. Looks shouldn't matter--especially with 100% WfH positions. Nicely dressing doesn't solve my work problems. Take that for what you think it's worth.
    Touchè