GULP putting in my notice

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I never get used to this lol.    Always so nerve racking, I am literally sitting on a webex waiting or my boss to join!

Just trying to burn a little nervous energy.  

Comments

• trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you will be fine
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Will this be a complete surprise to your boss or does s/he already know that you might be leaving?
    Most of the people that have left teams I've managed have not given a clue. I've had to guess what might be happening based on changes in their behavior--usually over a two-week period.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited July 2021
    JDMurray said:
    Will this be a complete surprise to your boss or does s/he already know that you might be leaving?
    Most of the people that have left teams I've managed have not given a clue. I've had to guess what might be happening based on changes in their behavior--usually over a two-week period.
    It went well they want to counter me into an elevated role.  Actually rewriting my job description at the moment and have a call with my Boss at 11:15 eastern.  I like the company and most of the work, just some of the task and of course the pay......   

In regards to your comments about the behavior changing I usually work harder for some reason haha.  
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    It always sucks, and bosses sometimes want to (as JD said) for you to give them heads up that you're looking.

Always an awkward situation... Good luck!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

edited August 2021

In regards to your comments about the behavior changing I usually work harder for some reason haha.  

You probably want to tie up loose ends by completing unfinished work and not leave it for those stepping into your old position to figure out. That actually very conscientious of you.
    Remembering all of the places of employment that I've left in the past, I would say that (slowly) cleaning up my work area and taking my things home is a clear indication that I'm leaving--or at least strongly thinking about it.

JDMurray said:

You probably want to tie up loose ends by completing unfinished work and not leave it for those stepping into your old position to figure out. That actually very conscientious of you.
    Remembering all of the places of employment that I've left in the past, I would say that (slowly) cleaning up my work area and taking my things home is a clear indication that I'm leaving--or at least strongly thinking about it.

Boss is trying to get me into another role within the company, they don't want to lose me.  More to come.  This has been uplifted to the COO and CEO for quick turnaround due to my start date.  Should be interesting to see what they counter with.  

I will say I like the idea of staying with the same company, I am comfortable and the data I am extremely familiar with.  Just need to ensure I have the right role lined up.  
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited August 2021
    How much notice are you expected to give? I am used to the two week standard of California, but in The Netherlands it is one month. The most advance notice I have given was about 2 - 3 months which is when I informed my employer I would be relocating abroad. 

I still feel a bit awkward when giving notice, but luckily a number of job changes in my career were the result of circumstances caused by the employer so there were no hard feelings. Regardless of how awkward it is at first, I still feel good about my decision and move on to something better happily. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    edited August 2021
    I am used to the two week standard of California...

A two-week "courtesy notice" hasn't been the thing in Cali since 2000 when at-will employment was reaffirmed by the Courts. Now it's more like "what's the norm in your company for giving notice?" Many Gen Y/Gen Z workers give a one-day or zero-day notice as their norm.
    @E Double U @JDMurray I gave 2 weeks, but they asked for 3.  I asked my new company if 3 was okay, still waiting to hear a reply.  I made it known it was my company asking and I am just passing the request along in good faith.  Said just like that. 
    Just a follow up.  My soon to be new boss absolutely loved my dedication to the company I am working for.  I received a ton of praises from her I can't wait to start working for her and with the team.
    Do you know anyone else in that company or on that team? It would be interesting to get a realistic accounting of what work there is like.
    JDMurray said:
    Do you know anyone else in that company or on that team? It would be interesting to get a realistic accounting of what work there is like.
    I agree wish I had those insights.  I did reach out a few months back to a random person on LI (similiar role) and asked them how they liked it, the response seemed genuine (and most positive) but other than that just the goofy ratings on Indeed etc.   Most of the complaints were from customer service reps.  

I reached out to HR the jobs I qualitifed for are way below where I am at in the new position.  Nearly 40% higher in new position.  I can't stay lol.  

• changlinnchanglinn Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    I am used to the two week standard of California...

A two-week "courtesy notice" hasn't been the thing in Cali since 2000 when at-will employment was reaffirmed by the Courts. Now it's more like "what's the norm in your company for giving notice?" Many Gen Y/Gen Z workers give a one-day or zero-day notice as their norm.
    Woah, come to Australia. I've got to give 4, soon to be 5 weeks notice. Flipside, they have to give me the same amount if they let me go. Add to that my long service leave, accrued annual leave and My payout would be about 5 months. At this point it feels like I have tenure :D

A+, C|EH, CISSP, CISM, CRISC, GSTRT, MCSA:Messaging, MCSE:Security
    "Brain does not meet certification requirements, please install more certifications" Me
    Currently Studying: Cyber Security masters and ISC2 CCSP.
    Security blog; http://security.morganstorey.com
    @UnixGuy @JDMurray

Announced during a team meeting I would be leaving.  She straight up said with he money I am getting no way anyone could turn it down LMAO.  Just thought I would share.  
    Anyone in the meeting ask if your new employer has any more openings? That would certainly make management cringe... :s
    edited August 2021
    JDMurray said:
    Anyone in the meeting ask if your new employer has any more openings? That would certainly make management cringe... :s
    Yes two other analyst asking me if they were hiring.  Through chat, not out loud lol.  

They are more of your financial type analyst, some VBA, pivot tables, charting etc.  

I manage our data flow from other data end points.  This particular role is sales force integration, pulling data from source system into the CRM platform.  
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @UnixGuy @JDMurray

Announced during a team meeting I would be leaving.  She straight up said with he money I am getting no way anyone could turn it down LMAO.  Just thought I would share.  

I remeber when I worked in a university and left the boss at the time said something similar. Only he made it sound like working for the university is a noble thing and that they don't do it for the money and that other organisations are money driven unlike him, Cringe for days...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You guys are making me think about the time I told my former manager I was leaving due to the move to Holland. Afterwards we were at a team lunch talking about the future when he turns in my direction and says "but this freaking guy is leaving to work in Amsterdam" then shook his head annoyed lol. Good times!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS