Hi There!

Nellie21Nellie21 Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
My name is Marie I am a student and I joined here a few weeks ago. Really looking forward to learning so great things from you all, the open discussions, and possibly meeting new people in my area!!

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Welcome to the forums Nellie!

What do you study and what are you areas of interest in IT? you will find a lot of help in here :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hello and Welcome!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome aboard!

Which area are you from?

• Nellie21Nellie21 Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am from Palm Bay Florida 
    Johnhe0414 Thank you!
    UnixGuy Thank you! I am studying CompTia A+. My main goal is to work my way up to Cyber. That's been my interest for years! I am glad to be getting help here. Sometimes I feel as though it's a lot to take in..... I really pray i pass my exams.. was it hard for any of you here? 
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    edited August 2021
    @Nellie21 Good luck! I didn't take the A+ but I took the Secuity+,

I did a quick video on how to get into cyber security, have a look at it!

hope it helps! Plenty of help around this topic here :)

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sure certification is a nice way to get into cyber security, but dont forget other ressource as TryHackMe. 
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't do the A+ certification until I was 20 years into IT... and I only took it because I was offered a position to teach at a community college and they required the certification for instructors to be able to teach the requisite courses.  I have looked at the materials in the past and I have to say that while much of what they have eliminated from the course isn't necessary, it is highly valuable.  When I teach it, I love to cover it a layer or two deeper than what is required for the exam.  If you can understand it at that level, the exam will be no problem.

I would recommend to anyone that wants a deeper understanding to check out one or both of these books:

* Code, by Charles Petzlold (Microsoft Press, 2000)
    * The Elements of Computing Systems, by Noam Nisan and Shimon Schocken (MIT Press, 2008)

Each of these books covers computing far deeper than you're going to get anywhere outside of a rigorous Computer Engineering program.  The main differences are that the Nisan and Schocken book starts with a NAND gate (all other logic gates can be built from NAND) and works you up to building integrated circuits, CPU/Memory, then assembler, an OS, and an Object Oriented language.  The Petzold book is like a prequel to that  in that it starts with electricity and relays, but continues up the stack from there (with a little less practical usage of later topics, just touching them each at a high level).

Choosing either or both are great for REALLY understanding what is happening.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS