Has anyone taken CIPP/C?

Big-JJBig-JJ Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am thinking of going for CIPP/C as I live in Canada. I found some reviews for CIPP/US and CIPP/E but nothing on CIPP/C.

Has anyone taken it? How's it? Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
MBA, CIA, CRMA, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CISSP, PMP

Comments

• KazekiKazeki Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking to take the CIPP/C too. Do anyone have an outline?
  • PrivacyPalPrivacyPal Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just signed up to take it. Happy to share any resources if I find them. 
  • newatthisnewatthis Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I completed the CIPP/E in May, now I am back in Canada and looking at the CIPP/C. Good news is the book is 100 pages shorter. The CIPP/E was very difficult, I have no idea what to expect with this one, either.
  • LAWYER2LAWYER2 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any feedback on the CIPP/C exam? I just bought the exam, waiting on the book. I work in Privacy and have had to research Canadian privacy often for my job. Just wondering how much time went into preparation. I've got CIP/US and CIPM so far. Saving CIPP/E for last lol. 
  • XaphodXaphod Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi. I just passed the CIPP/C.
    When studying I found no print resources other than the book and the IAPP's 30 sample questions. There are various Canadian privacy courses available online or in person as well. A few comments:
    1. The book is probably enough (especially if you have some relevant background); but you need to know it well. You might want to go beyond the book for information on the Ontario health legislation (PHIPA), as I didn't think the book did a great job covering it. Using other sources might help to contextualize and round that out.
    2. The IAPP sample questions are representative of about half (the easy half) of the non-scenario questions on the exam.
    3. Be on the lookout for tricky phrasing, word substitutions, and negative language.
    4. Also, make sure to answer the question asked. The fact something is true does not mean it is the best answer to that question.  Read every word in the question carefully and ensure your answer aligns completely.
    5. It is vital to know PIPEDA really well and the Privacy Act well too. Pay extra attention to things the book delves into in detail.  Don't skim over things like time frames, review / appeal processes, and breach.
    6. Know the broad strokes of the provincial acts, and every detail highlighted in the book. Also know their individual names.
    7. Know the case studies at least in broad terms and by name and date.

I hope this helps.  Good luck everyone!

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the info.. I will look at it later... Tomorow I am starting the CIPT class. 
  • Big-JJBig-JJ Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Xaphod said:
    When studying I found no print resources other than the book and the IAPP's 30 sample questions. There are various Canadian privacy courses available online or in person as well. A few comments:
    1. The book is probably enough (especially if you have some relevant background); but you need to know it well. You might want to go beyond the book for information on the Ontario health legislation (PHIPA), as I didn't think the book did a great job covering it. Using other sources might help to contextualize and round that out.
    2. The IAPP sample questions are representative of about half (the easy half) of the non-scenario questions on the exam.
    3. Be on the lookout for tricky phrasing, word substitutions, and negative language.
    4. Also, make sure to answer the question asked. The fact something is true does not mean it is the best answer to that question.  Read every word in the question carefully and ensure your answer aligns completely.
    5. It is vital to know PIPEDA really well and the Privacy Act well too. Pay extra attention to things the book delves into in detail.  Don't skim over things like time frames, review / appeal processes, and breach.
    6. Know the broad strokes of the provincial acts, and every detail highlighted in the book. Also know their individual names.

I really appreciate the info. So hard to find info on CIPP/C. I am planning to take it this Dec.

One question - I am thinking of buying a book CIPM and CIPT book to learn as part of the prep. Do you think reading those books might have helped you prep the CIPP/C test?
    MBA, CIA, CRMA, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CISSP, PMP
    Hi Big-JJ. I have not seen those other books, so I can't say for sure.

My guess is that it would be more efficient to just focus on the core CIPP/C book.  If you want to augment that, I would suggest digging deeper on topics from the CIPP/C body of knowledge (eg. Guidelines from the OPC and IPC on topics you want to go deeper on). I say that because:
    1. There were no IT-type technology-related questions that went beyond what was already spelled out clearly in  the CIPP/C book. So, I don't think the CIPT book would add a lot that you would need for the CIPP/C exam.
    2. I think the CIPM material is more management and policy/process development based. That is not really what the CIPP/C body of knowledge or blueprint emphasize, and I didn't really see that on the exam either.

Of course a broader knowledge base always has benefits; I am just not sure that in terms of "points gained per unit time"  studying those additional books would be the most  efficient approach.

Good luck with it!
    edited September 2021
    Hi again.  One thing I had meant to post earlier, in case it might be helpful to others:
    I developed a little mnemonic to help me remember the CSA principles. It is not perfect, but it was enough for me. Here it is, in case it is useful to someone. The words are not entirely in same same order as the CSA principles, so make sure to check out how it aligns:  
    "A count purposely consented to safeguard a limited collection used to challenge open access and to accurately disclose retention."
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Big-JJ said:
    Xaphod said:

I really appreciate the info. So hard to find info on CIPP/C. I am planning to take it this Dec.

One question - I am thinking of buying a book CIPM and CIPT book to learn as part of the prep. Do you think reading those books might have helped you prep the CIPP/C test?
    I am currently doing the CIPT class, and I am pretty sure it would not help you at all

• cstrilycstrily Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone else take the test recently? Hoping to write in late 2022