High paying salary jobs

swanbellaswanbella Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
How can I get high-paying jobs after my graduation. Can anybody suggest me some professional courses ?

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is so vague I do not think the responses would be any better than if you just typed the same thing into an internet search. 

Where are you located and what is considered a high salary there? It would be an idea to look at jobs in your area and if there are salary ranges posted then you can begin to see the type of skills that are desired there. 

Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    By applying to high-paying jobs.
    By applying to high-paying jobs.
    Now you tell me :neutral:
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Employers pay high wages for experience and the ability to solve problems and not because people take expensive courses and pass very difficult exams.
    edited August 2021
    JDMurray said:
    Employers pay high wages for experience and the ability to solve problems and not because people take expensive courses and pass very difficult exams.
    I do not like the messages coming from you and cyberguypr on this thread. You guys are basically saying I have been doing it all wrong for all of these years  :(
    I am a hiring manager; I hire people to solve my problems and not because they managed to pass the CISSP exam. Having a CISSP only gives you a greater chance of getting a first-round interview with me and nothing more.
    JDMurray said:
     I hire people to solve my problems and not because they managed to pass the CISSP exam. 
    I would love to see this in a vacancy post lol.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited August 2021
    swanbella said:
    How can I get high-paying jobs after my graduation. Can anybody suggest me some professional courses ?
    Kinda vague, Deal dealer or ransomware hacker are high paying career choices. I assume your not studying those areas of expertise, What are you going to school for? Where do your interests lay. You should concentrate your efforts on where your interest are. You can teach anyone to be a computer programmer, but to be a truly a great programmer that commands stop dollar pay, you have to have an aptitude for it. the same holds true for any area of IT. Me for example, I'm a lousy programmer, but that's not where my interests are. 

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    edited August 2021
    swanbella said:
    Kinda vague, Deal dealer or ransomware hacker are high paying career choices. 

swanbella is simply interested in a high-paying job after graduation. Are there any dealer courses that you can recommend  :)
  • Deáthmáge85Deáthmáge85 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited September 2021
    One thing about the CISSP, as an example. Years ago, I used to think the CISSP was all that; then I took the CASP+. The CISSP is all memorization and nothing more; yes it has principles of cybersecurity and those are important, but they don't pay you the big bucks.

What an employer perceives with someone with a CISSP is a depth of knowledge to remediate and solve complex security issues; being able to explain a cybersecurity issue from an administrative level is one thing, being able to implement the technical and physical controls are another. 

I'd much rather hire someone with a Security+, CySA+, and CASP+ over someone with a CISSP. Plus with a CASP+, it's not written but they assume you have the knowledge of every other CompTIA exam below it under your belt. I can attest to the pay of the CASP+ being higher than the CISSP on a national level and for me personally. But it's taken me years to get to this level of technical knowledge to be able to say these kinds of things. 

I don't hold the CISSP to the same standard I once did. 

No one certification will pay you a high salary, you have to look at it from a cross-certification perspective, you need to wear multiple hats these days. Plus being Silo'd is not good for personal career growth and income potential. That's my 2 cents.
    Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, Storage+, CySA+, CASP+ (003 & 004), VCP-DCV 5, VCP-DCV/NV 6, MCSE x 2: Core Infrastructure & Productivity (2016), Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert, Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect Expert, Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator, Microsoft 365 Certified: Messaging Administrator, Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate, Microsoft Certified: Azure Virtual Desktop Specialty, Microsoft Certified: Security Operations Analyst Associate, Microsoft Certified: Identity and Access Administrator Associate, Microsoft Certified: Azure Network Engineer Associate

Current Pursuit: Azure & O365 Renewals

:2023 Goals: 
     Certified: Azure Security Engineer Associate (AZ-500), Microsoft Certified: Windows Server Hybrid Administrator Associate (AZ-800 & AZ-801), Microsoft Certified: Azure Cybersecurity Architect (SC-100)

:2024 Goals:
    VCP7-DCV, CCSP, CISSP, CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, CISSP-ISSEP

:2025 Goals:
    Linux+, RHSA, PenTest+, C|EH, OSCP, Azure & O365 Renewals
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ... have 60+ certs and still have no CISSP
    seems I was wrong all these years  ;)
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

yup, never did CISSP myself. I value technical vs paper, hence why I chose to go for CASP+ as I felt that would be the roles I'd do for my career. I've also realized I can't be a C team person, so a CISSP will be once I have done all the technical exams I want, then i'll do the CISSP, but not before. No value for me. 
    Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, Storage+, CySA+, CASP+ (003 & 004), VCP-DCV 5, VCP-DCV/NV 6, MCSE x 2: Core Infrastructure & Productivity (2016), Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert, Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect Expert, Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator, Microsoft 365 Certified: Messaging Administrator, Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate, Microsoft Certified: Azure Virtual Desktop Specialty, Microsoft Certified: Security Operations Analyst Associate, Microsoft Certified: Identity and Access Administrator Associate, Microsoft Certified: Azure Network Engineer Associate

Certified: Azure Security Engineer Associate (AZ-500), Microsoft Certified: Windows Server Hybrid Administrator Associate (AZ-800 & AZ-801), Microsoft Certified: Azure Cybersecurity Architect (SC-100)

edited September 2021
    For years now, InfoSec professionals have needed the keyword "CISSP" on their resumes just to be recognized by the job recruitment filters. The CISSP objectives are so broad that you'll learn a few things about InfoSec fields that you've never worked in (e.g., risk management, cryptography, etc.) while studying for it. The CISSP is really like an MBA for InfoSec and is regarded as such.
    One thing about the CISSP, as an example. Years ago, I used to think the CISSP was all that; then I took the CASP+. The CISSP is all memorization and nothing more; yes it has principles of cybersecurity and those are important, but they don't pay you the big bucks.

What an employer perceives with someone with a CISSP is a depth of knowledge to remediate and solve complex security issues; being able to explain a cybersecurity issue from an administrative level is one thing, being able to implement the technical and physical controls are another. 

I'd much rather hire someone with a Security+, CySA+, and CASP+ over someone with a CISSP. Plus with a CASP+, it's not written but they assume you have the knowledge of every other CompTIA exam below it under your belt. I can attest to the pay of the CASP+ being higher than the CISSP on a national level and for me personally. But it's taken me years to get to this level of technical knowledge to be able to say these kinds of things. 

I don't hold the CISSP to the same standard I once did. 

No one certification will pay you a high salary, you have to look at it from a cross-certification perspective, you need to wear multiple hats these days. Plus being Silo'd is not good for personal career growth and income potential. That's my 2 cents.
    Someone with your point of view on CISSP seems to place more emphasis on a credential than actual experience. If I posted a job vacancy and there were two applicants with nearly identical education and job experience with the only difference being CompTIA versus (ISC)2 then the alphabet soup on the CV would not be a deciding factor. It would simply come down to who performs better on the interview without any bias in favor of one type of cert over another. Of course there are other things to look for when trying to decide if someone is a good fit including the salary requirements lol. 

I view certifications as a companion that compliments experience not replaces it so I don't think of someone as better or worse based on which exams they pass. I also do not view CISSP as all memorization more than any other exam I have taken besides the ones that are open book of course (i.e. GIAC). With any exam I have taken, the more real-world experience I had going into the exam required less memorization of the material no matter if it was about Cisco CLI commands or remembering the differences between frameworks. 

In terms of making the big bucks, I think that is relative to other things that determine a budget like employer size, location, etc. 
    People who have the CISSP are usually not as impressed by it as people who do not have the CISSP. The CISSP is one of those things whose value is inflated by its mystery. I pretty much regard people who have a CISSP as having chosen to make InfoSec their dedicated career path. After that, I agree with E Double U that it comes down to how a person performs in an interview to get an idea of their true knowledge and skill and potential value or my org.
    edited September 2021
    Hardly; technical & hands-on vs credentials win in my book every day. The credential is a by-product of what is done behind the scenes every single day. 

What drives me is to be able to engineer solutions that use all of the available options in a particular platform. An example is O365 and Azure; I presently work for a Fortune 100 company where O365 and Azure are my primary role. I've gotten to the point now where lots of technical knowledge is overlapping on itself when comes to certifications, but I've been using all of O365 and Azure for well over 3 years now that much of it is second nature. To me, the credentials are simply an award for what I've spent most of my time perfecting solutions for problems.

When it comes to technical vs administrative knowledge; I don't ever play to be administrative, technical is what I love, lol, case-in-point for learning, I have an outside and inside firewall in my living room with 3 SIEM's (OSSIM, ELK, Splunk), over 200 TB's of storage on a 10G LAN and 10G iSCSI with 6 hosts running ESXi 7.0 with 60 VM's across 1.5 TB's of memory and I'm also paying $120 a month for a fully licensed O365 M E5 & EMS E5 & Azure tenant. I live and breathe this stuff, not only at work but in play.

My point of all of this and of my original post is that no one certification makes you in this industry, no one track will do it either; what does make you get the big bucks is to acquire as much knowledge of multiple platforms as you can. Gone as the days of silo'd IT, professionals. You need to be able to acquire, use, and perfect your current role and ultimately trade while pursuing multiple different hats of the same industry. 

I'll also say this, regardless of what I say, JDMurray, or E Double U says, always believe it yourself, and ignore the naysayers. You do what you love and regardless of changes in your status quo, you keep pushing forward regardless. If you get fired, or as an example like me, I was banned on my original deathmage on techexams years ago, for reason unknown to me; but meh. I drive my own path for myself and no one else. If you want a high-paying job in IT, then working on learning via certifications which will give you experience, market yourself, create a blog, join a technology group, and work your ass off. I started in IT with my A+; I now have so many certifications I've lost track. But I keep going....

Why... cause I love what I do, it's my passion, my love, my joy. high paying jobs pay those who love what they do and can articulate it. I won't stop until I hit my goal of 300k a year and right now I've already got 120k a year in passive income via Youtube, being a landlord of 5 rentals, and the Stock Market, the rest will come from my trade.

Luckily for me, I've only worked for places that can compensate me for what wearing multiple hats implies in terms of compensation.

In closing, if you want a high-paying IT job; find you're why, and then follow thru with it until you get to your level of success. Be mindful these terms will change all the time. For example, 7 years ago I wanted to make 100k a year, but now my goal is 200k, I'm only 50 shy of 200 now. If you want something, you work for it, and NEVER GIVE UP!

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    swanbella said:
    Kinda vague, Deal dealer or ransomware hacker are high paying career choices. 

swanbella is simply interested in a high-paying job after graduation. Are there any dealer courses that you can recommend  :)
    I meant to type Drug Dealer, I didn't proof read my post close enough, I know what I meant, I think. 
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.