HelloWorld

BIGxOZBIGxOZ Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,
My name is Jordan and I’m 30 years old and I’ve been in the construction industry for nearly a decade. I’ve always had a love of computers and troubleshooting since I received my first windows computer at 14. 

My education is a BA in computer information systems in 2014 and chose the life of being in the trenches and working manual labor that I thought paid more. I’m now 30 looking to change career paths. I’ve worked for Tesla as a General Manager here in Utah. I feel like I have succeeded in this industry but have always had the deep desire of computers especially Cybersecurity. Luckily for me I have a nice cushion to get myself started back on this path. I know it’s never too late to start but I want to now. 
I have my Cert in Comptia A+ and now looking into either Security + or Network +. I’m also going back to school next spring to specialize in Cybersecurity. 

Nice to meet you all and I’m looking for guidance on getting this started right. 

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Welcome to the forums!

30 is young and you have so much time to make a nice career for yourself in cyber security

Keep up posted with your progress :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Welcome to TE!

You first big hurdle will be the difference in salary of a General Manager versus an entry-level IT job in a small market area like Utah. The remote work opportunists that have appeared over the past year give geographical outliers like yourself a better chance at a bigger paycheck, but that only comes with experience. What do you feel like you want to get into first? Do you prefer to work locally or online remote?
  • BIGxOZBIGxOZ Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    Welcome to TE!

You first big hurdle will be the difference in salary of a General Manager versus an entry-level IT job in a small market area like Utah. The remote work opportunists that have appeared over the past year give geographical outliers like yourself a better chance at a bigger paycheck, but that only comes with experience. What do you feel like you want to get into first? Do you prefer to work locally or online remote?
    What do you think would be the best route on taking when it comes to getting started in the IT world more specifically Cybersecurity? Are Comptia Certifications worth it in that field? 

My overall goal is to retire in Idaho on a piece of land and hopefully work remotely and do the occasional travel into work. 
  • xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited October 2021
    Hi, BIGxOZ-

Welcome to the forums - and to the realm of IT careers! :)

I've been working in the industry for about 12 years - started in my late 20s - mostly as a network engineer, and would also like to transition to cybersecurity in the next 5 years. FWIW, I recommend CompTIA's A+, Network+, and Security+ (I'm working on this last one right now) in order to certify what you know as well as fill in gaps in your knowledge. In addition to giving you a solid foundation, they will also introduce you to a number of sub-domains of IT in general and of cybersecurity in particular, which could help you decide on which specific route to pursue.

You might also look into CompTIA's Linux+ or the Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator. I'm a Windows guy, and have neglected my Linux studies, which has clearly held me back in my professional goals. Same thing with Python. So my plans for the next year include studying and practicing both of those.

On a personal note, I'd also love to retire in Idaho. I spent time there with cousins growing up and went to school in Rexburg. Love that area.
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited October 2021
    Hello BIGxOZ! - Welcome! and I agree with you ... "its never to late to start", I was 29 when I started my IT career
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome!

Are there in Tesla tech teams Utah?

Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS