CEH v11 Eligibility?

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
edited October 2021 in CEH
So after studying for the CEH v11 exam using self-purchased materials from Amazon I discovered that you are required to have already certified as CEH v1-7 prior to being eligible to take the current CEH v11...or you have to take their training which costs $850 bucks.  What in the rocks?!?!?  Even CISSP was not that strict and it's worth 3x as much value as CEH?   Ok, is there something I'm tohhhhtally missing here?  So I'm CISSP, Security+, CCNA, CCNP but not eligible for CEH??!!  I included the link to their official application eligibility below:

https://cert.eccouncil.org/application-process-eligibility.html

I'm posting this at 8:48AM CST but somebody, anybody tell me if I got up too early to type with a sane mind!!
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
Tagged:

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I think the target markets for ECC is business and not individuals. Businesses can afford to pay more $$$$.
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    I think the target markets for ECC is business and not individuals. Businesses can afford to pay more $$$$.

oh, you're saying that most people that take the CEH exam have it paid for by their employers?
    The ECC training and exams are so expensive now that it's likely business and educational institutions are the intended customers. I assume those customers get a price discount by "buying in bulk," while individual customers pay "full retail."
    @JDMurray
     I notice you have C|EH in your list of certs. So you didn't get the training/exam study material from ECC?
    I got CEHv8 years ago--I didn't think much of the exam's contents. I also taught CEH v8/ANSI courses from the official ECC material, but I never attended the official ECC CEH or teacher training.

I would advise people to not bother with CEH unless you specifically need it to meet a requirement for a job, project, contract, etc. There are much better pathways to get into pentesting.

People get CEH cert now to register in the search algorithms when submitting resumes as well as prestige within the industry.  Functionally there might be better ways to get into pentesting as you suggest. However, brand-wise, CEH has taken that train and it has left the station.  It's a big cyber brand now to get on your signature line, business cards, etc so you can be "in"
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't put CEH on my signature line personally. Have read that if you get a high enough score, above 90 or something, you get the "master" level ranking, so could then sign "certified master hacker" for the lolz.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP