Build for modern gaming rig

2»

Comments

• DeadZitsDeadZits Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So the best build would be around $1500 to $2000 all-in... Hmmm. I gotta sit my broke ass down and think about my priorities in life. LOL! 

It really is kinda tempting to build a gaming rig!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Thanks to its upgradeability, the system I built for myself last year will last me (at least) ten years of use. Factor a value-returned-per-year-of-use into your budget and your new gaming rig will look really inexpensive. ;)
  • DeadZitsDeadZits Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    Thanks to its upgradeability, the system I built for myself last year will last me (at least) ten years of use. Factor a value-returned-per-year-of-use into your budget and your new gaming rig will look really inexpensive. ;)
    That's the reason why I don't like Mac products. It's like they just want you to spend every damn year.
  • johncarl81johncarl81 Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are considering Intel for modern Rig
    Then I would suggest go with 
    Intel 12th Gen
    Mob Z690
    Ram 32 GB
    GPU RTX 3070 (depending upon the work nature)
    2K display with 144HZ
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are considering Intel for modern Rig
    Then I would suggest go with 
    Intel 12th Gen
    Mob Z690
    Ram 32 GB
    GPU RTX 3070 (depending upon the work nature)
    2K display with 144HZ
    A lot of people were done with Intel after buying the much hyped Z270 class chipset mobo, only to find out that the Kaby Lake CPUs were a dead end.
    Upgrading from a Kaby Lake I5 to an I7 was about $5 less than a new Gen8 CPU & motherboard, and were still only getting 4 cores.
    To rub salt in the wounds of those stuck with expensive 4 core Kaby Lake PCs, Microsoft will not be supporting Windows 11 installing on PCs with Gen 7 CPUs.
    Intel has been playing way too many games over the years with CPU tech. Speaking of games, funny that Intel still has these listed in production.

A lot of people dumped some wicked cash on high-end laptops to get a fancy GPU paired with a "stable" CPU.
    Well, now is time to **** some more cash on the Intel fire if you want Win11 or lick wounds and rebuild with the latest Ubuntu or CentOS release.
    Not an option for a dedicated gaming rig.

Will Intel pull the same short production cycle stunt again?

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I switched to Ryzen and Pop!_OS Linux almost two years ago for my gaming rig and it has done very well by me. Proton on Steam allows most Windows games to be played on Linux. You can also check if your favorite games run on Proton too.