With the overwhelming amount of study material available...

ProfessorGumbyProfessorGumby Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
How do you mentally "lock" into concentrating on one track, or not jump around from this training video to that one, etc., etc? In other words, what are some successful study habits that have worked for you? My end goal is a CCNP Security cert, but I sometimes overwhelm myself by looking at all my options thinking I should be watching other videos instead of the one I'm currently watching.

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I completed the CCNP Security in 2014 and here was my approach: read a chapter from the Cisco official cert guide, take notes while watching Keith Barker CBT video on the same topic, and practice on the ASA. I did this for all five exams (lumping 640-554 CCNA Security in there). If I recall correctly the order I chose for the exams was firewall, vpn, ips, and secure. That worked for me.

Good luck!

Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • ProfessorGumbyProfessorGumby Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good approach. Thanks for the feedback!

I completed the CCNP Security in 2014 and here was my approach: read a chapter from the Cisco official cert guide, take notes while watching Keith Barker CBT video on the same topic, and practice on the ASA. I did this for all five exams (lumping 640-554 CCNA Security in there). If I recall correctly the order I chose for the exams was firewall, vpn, ips, and secure. That worked for me.

Good luck!

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, I also recommend studying for any cert by each topic or objective rather than by each study source.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Years ago I decided to do one cert per year

It doesn't sound like much, but it added up over the years. One cert per year is a fine strategy and I dont think most people need more than that.

Now I decided no more certs, I learn more on the job.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

@UnixGuy - It doesn't sound like the poster's issue is a lack of focus on one cert, but a lack of focus on subjects within that one cert. I get the impression that while working on CCNP Security he might be watching a Keith Barker video and then switching to another video on the same topic from a different source. That or beginning a video on a vpn related topic and then switching to an ips or firewall video instead of completing all of the vpn videos. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • dragonldbdragonldb Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    G'day,
    I tend to be studying for more than one cert at a time just to eliminate "information fatigue". I also deal with alot of interruptions that can last more than a day. 

In case it's in any way applicable, I keep a chart of each course's videos so that I can mark where I was if I have to leave it. The chart also has a section for comments that can include "make sure to read this website, or watch this video, read this book etc., so that I can keep concentrating on what I am doing at the time.  I don't want to get sidetracked too far because I tend to do alot of  "oh, I have got to check that out too". I used to get a bit lost as layers led to layers. And when I did let that happen, as it can be fun, I just used the chart to get back on track. :-)

dragonldb said:

I tend to be studying for more than one cert at a time just to eliminate "information fatigue". 
    Is there overlap in the certifications that you are studying simultaneously? I have only prepared for AZ-303/304 at the same time. Every other credential I hold was one after the other. 
  • dragonldbdragonldb Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To use an example, I may work on a CySA+, CISSP, or similar. Meanwhile, I am also working on ie;  PMI-ACP or PMP.  In reference to the latter, you have to accumulate hours in certain areas, and this can take more than a year or so,  depending upon your work opportunities. I find that it is easy enough to keep these separate due to the differences in the type of information and that the "breaks" just help. Maybe that part is just a "me" thing. :-)

• ProfessorGumbyProfessorGumby Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @UnixGuy - It doesn't sound like the poster's issue is a lack of focus on one cert, but a lack of focus on subjects within that one cert. I get the impression that while working on CCNP Security he might be watching a Keith Barker video and then switching to another video on the same topic from a different source. That or beginning a video on a vpn related topic and then switching to an ips or firewall video instead of completing all of the vpn videos. 

Absolutely correct, E Double U. I jump around from INE videos, to Cisco authorized training, then some Udemy courses... read a book while I'm not in front of my computer... then wonder if it's all overkill so I'll go play on the PS5.

edited November 2021
    I thought so. Yes it is overkill and unnecessary.