Not buying a thing yet, totally confused

optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
I am now totally confused about the CCNP. Apparently, this test change also changes the equipment also. I have read through numerous postings. I have seen the Cisco 3640 router mentioned. I have also seen a post in this forum:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17815

which "the Shadow" talks about Cisco 1811 and 1851 and something about $3,000.

I feel like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming vehicle. Damn. icon_sad.gif

- Optimus

Comments

• djmddjmd Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    optimus wrote:
    I am now totally confused about the CCNP. Apparently, this test change also changes the equipment also. I have read through numerous postings. I have seen the Cisco 3640 router mentioned. I have also seen a post in this forum:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17815

which "the Shadow" talks about Cisco 1811 and 1851 and something about $3,000.

I feel like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming vehicle. Damn. icon_sad.gif

- Optimus

I feel the same way man. I think I am going to at least through the routing and switching books once before I decide to buy anything...
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Search through the forums for dynamips / dynagen
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    This is what wildfire is referring to:

http://dyna-gen.sourceforge.net/tutorial.htm

Follow the instructions and you will be golden. Make sure you have access to one of the IOS's that is usable with dynagen.
    Now working full time!
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    icon_redface.gif ha thanks modem I cant find the link for a minute there
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Wow, I have seen some posts about that emulator Dynamips. Is it really that good? Does it emulate any switches or just routers? What have been your experiences with it?

- Optimus
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It did add a "switch".... and it now has support for the NM-16ESW, but the layer 2 functions are lacking last time I checked (a little over 1 week ago). Multiple NICs and using real switches is an option that works.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. Do you mean that you can interface Dynamips with a real piece of equipment, like a Catalyst 2950, and it will work with the virtual devices? You use multiple NICS?

- Optimus
    Yep -- a couple of beefy PCs with multiple NICs with multiple ports would get you through the CCIE (attaching to real 3550/3560/3750 switches.

If the layer 2 switching functions work better soon... it may be enough for the CCNA and possibly the CCNP -- but its not there yet. You can still do quite a few of the configurations, but the testing of some layer 2 functions is, um, inaccurate (e.g., always works, even when it shouldn't -- or doesn't work as it should, but still "works").

But for routing.... and MPLS... and routing -- it WORKS! :D
    That is pretty awesome!! :o

Do you have any good reference sites for people using Dynamips that contain lab maps / configs ?

V/r

Optimus
    Never mind, I have found much information. This is interesting..... Oh my ......... wait ............................................................ this is amazing! icon_twisted.gif

- Optimus
    optimus wrote:
    this is amazing!
    :D

I collected several of the posts about Dynamips and Dynagen and all the links should be in this post -- but you don't have to be gunning for a CCIE to use it.
    Hey, much thanks Mike. Much appreciated.

- Optimus