Options

IAPP CIPM exam Advice?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PrivyProfPrivyProf Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LAWYER2 said:
    I passed, barely. I'm not sure if it was the luck of the draw with the questions I got, but MANY were on very narrow areas lightly covered in the book. It certainly was no walk in the park.  
    Great @LAWYER2. Congratulations on successfully passing CIPM. When did you appeared for exam? In the month of Sept or August?
    It would be highly appreciated if you can help me with your experience; anything which you think can be helpful.

Thanks In Advace!! :)

• Options
    LAWYER2LAWYER2 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took it on Sunday 9/13/20. I read the book a year ago, made an outline then got busy up until July of this year. I made an audio recording (I'm an auditory learner) of myself going over the outline and listened repeatedly. I read the book again the day before the exam. Again, i don't know if the batch of questions I got were just my luck or not, but there were a lot of narrowly tailored questions. Almost half were scenario based questions. Hope that helps. 
  • Options
    LAWYER2 said:
    I just took it on Sunday 9/13/20. I read the book a year ago, made an outline then got busy up until July of this year. I made an audio recording (I'm an auditory learner) of myself going over the outline and listened repeatedly. I read the book again the day before the exam. Again, i don't know if the batch of questions I got were just my luck or not, but there were a lot of narrowly tailored questions. Almost half were scenario based questions. Hope that helps. 
    That sounds really awesome!! Congrats again on passing the exam.
    I have read the more than 15 times now but still couldn't clear the exam. I am not sure where am I lacking or what mistake I am committing. I am very well aware about the book and the concept of it but still unable to cross the line. Anything you think would work for me? Please suggest...
  • Options
    PrivyProf said:
    LAWYER2 said:
    That sounds really awesome!! Congrats again on passing the exam.
    I have read the more than 15 times now but still couldn't clear the exam. I am not sure where am I lacking or what mistake I am committing. I am very well aware about the book and the concept of it but still unable to cross the line. Anything you think would work for me? Please suggest...
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I manage a privacy program at work so I'm sure that helped. As others have pointed out, start reading up on related material on IAPP's website. Check out webinars on privacy program management and just immerse yourself in it as if you were a privacy program manager. Start writing out plans for a mock privacy program. Basically think, sh!t, eat privacy management for a few weeks leading up to the exam. 
  • Options
    MainPapayaMainPapaya Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This thread seems to have died, not sure if anyone is taking this exam anymore, but in case there is anyone out there, I took and passed this one last week. I got 460/500, which was a much better score than I expected during the exam given how difficult I found it. I put a lot of time into revising the materials, but when it came to exam time the questions seemed to be only vaguely linked (and a couple of the questions were nowhere in the course book, but it was only a couple). As with most exams, understanding the underlying principles and being able to apply them is just as important as memorising key facts. My advice for the exam is to use a Sherlock Holmes style process of elimination for the answers: 'Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth'. There were several questions where the answer I chose was very improbable, but having worked through each option I concluded it was the only possible answer.

Anyway, that's CIPP/E and CIPM done, I'm doing the CIPT training in Feb, which looks like the most interesting and possibly most challenging considering my non-technical background.
  • Options
    Hi All,
    I took CIPM exam and passed finally. Thanks for all the suggestion and motivation shared here.

Thanks
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! What was the best resource?
  • Options
    Congrats! What was the best resource?
    I mainly used IAPP official textbook and sample questions. I would highly recommend to thoroughly read and understand the textbook and flow of the privacy governance activities. If you're are very well thorough with the book, you'll be very well pass the exam. Hope this helps..
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for that, and were you already in a privacy role or was this material all new?
  • Options
    Thanks for that, and were you already in a privacy role or was this material all new?
    I was already CIPP/E certified and I am working in the privacy field. As the exam tests your knowledge to the core and practical knowledge it's very important to understand and clear the concepts from the official textbook. Thanks
  • Options
    It's been awhile since I've been here, but congrats on the recent passers!
  • Options
    SpanishTotemSpanishTotem Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any sample questions from the exam? To make myself a view about the lenght of the questions, if they are 4 multipce-choice or real case study questions... I have not seen any published on the net