is CISSP books worthy?

rasli79rasli79 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was going through few reviews and cram session videos that mentioned the needs of CISSP big books - Sybex, McGraw-Hill, &, etc.
Some of them mentioned on enough with the 2018 version and google more on new topics. I understand some of us who already have the security background, don't need the book, just from the videos & exam practice with 1000 questions. 

My CISM experience still brings me to the management and advisory mindset. I'm targetting to complete the CISSP in 5-6 months.

Please suggest.
Tagged:

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited June 2021
    IMO, I would recommend to read at least one book. I dont think that video will be enough for the exam.  Also, why not buy the new version of the book, it is 40$ only. You are trying to save 40$ on a 699$ bet... 

My recommandation is to get a O'Reilly account.. all the IT books (not just CISSP) for a low price per month (I am just a very happy customer since 2012). 
  • rasli79rasli79 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMO, I would recommend to read at least one book. I dont think that video will be enough for the exam.  Also, why not buy the new version of the book, it is 40$ only. You are trying to save 40$ on a 699$ bet... 

My recommandation is to get a O'Reilly account.. all the IT books (not just CISSP) for a low price per month (I am just a very happy customer since 2012). 
    Thanks Steve, 
    i agree the justification but on the new CISSP version book, how to get the price within $40? most of the recommended book is more than $80.

Oh yeah, O'Reilly portal looks so good! thanks for recommending me, still on trial.

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I dont think that video will be enough for the exam.  
    i took a look at some video's on Link-in Learning Training, way too slow learning in my opinion. I can read thru a lot more information then the videos can show you in a given amount of time. 
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Download the text transcript of the narration and read through that. There usually isn't enough information in the visual content to make many training videos worth watching, so I listen them audio-only.
    rasli79 said:

Thanks Steve, 
    i agree the justification but on the new CISSP version book, how to get the price within $40? most of the recommended book is more than $80.

Oh yeah, O'Reilly portal looks so good! thanks for recommending me, still on trial.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Information-Security-Professional-Official/dp/1119786231/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2EN65X6MG7OY8&keywords=cissp&qid=1640305066&sprefix=cissp,aps,111&sr=8-3

Official book 48$ USD, sure it is not 40$ but near enough.  If you work in IT, you should ask for some training funding. I am the owner of a small cie (80 employees), and I re-imburse all books asked (within reason).  
    I dont think that video will be enough for the exam.  
    i took a look at some video's on Link-in Learning Training, way too slow learning in my opinion. I can read thru a lot more information then the videos can show you in a given amount of time. 
    I agree most video are too slow.  I see video training as a second or third media, when I need to do something other than reading.