How crucial is it to use up-to-date study manuals?

Cyb0rgdillyCyb0rgdilly Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
Of course it makes sense to use the newest edition but if my public library has a free copy that could save me some money.

Examples:
I have a study guide book for CompTIA Security+ that is the Fifth Edition from the year 2016. Is that going to be out of date information?

I have a study guide book for a Dummies guide to (ISC)2 CISSP Sixth Edition that was printed in 2018. Same thing, is this going to contain out-of-date information?

Thank you in advance if you can shed some light upon these questions!

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you intent to only read the book to learn but that you don't intent to write the exam, those older books are fine.

If you intent to write the exam, I would find/buy the latest one. Why risk wasting 699$ on a failed exam because you wanted to save 40$ for the latest book.  If you are really tie on money, consider asking your employer for some funding. Alternatively, for a very low price there is O'Reilly subscription that could help you too, finally some public library have some access to the O'Reilly Subscription, so it could be a good way to access the latest books/training video. 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always use the latest study material for every exam that I prepare for. No exceptions. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's important to realize that a single source of study materials will not necessarily have all the information that you may need to pass an exam. Therefore, for the best chance of passing, you should also have multiple sources of up-to-date exam study materials.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Also another reason I ask is because some courses are 10+ years old and really not much has changed so why not just use the free library books?
    Older material will not cover the newer topics on recently revised exams. This is why it's important to got over each item in the exam's list of objectives and make sure you have covered each topic.

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited December 2021
    Yeah, I agree. It is tempting though to save money ($$$) on books and use free ones a the library. Or to pick certifications with completely free study material online

Also another reason I ask is because some courses are 10+ years old and really not much has changed so why not just use the free library books?

Understandably I trying to cut corners to save money on books. Thank you for the right advice. It is better to just invest in the best study aides available!
    Almost all certification are updated every 2-3 years... so better have the latest books. Also don't forget that your company can often help you with traning fund. It is only a matter to present the project correctly. 
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited December 2021

I have a study guide book for a Dummies guide to (ISC)2 CISSP Sixth Edition that was printed in 2018. Same thing, is this going to contain out-of-date information?

I'll let you know in two weeks, I have an 8th edition (ISC)2 CISSP book, and I'm due to the take the exam the first week in January.

For GIAC Exams if you materials are older than 6 months, they are outdated. :)

Still searching for the corner in a round room.