About how long would it take me to be prepared enough to pass the Security+ exam?

SecOps334SecOps334 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I am wondering about how fast could I learn Security+ in order to pass the exam?  I know the answers to this question can vary, so I will try to provide a bit more info.  Having just passed the Network+ exam, if I were to start studying for Security+.  How long do you think it would take me if I have the ability to study 3 hours a day, 4 days a week and maybe a half an hour here and there 1-2 days a week in which I am working?  I would say I am an average learner and by that I mean, I am not a genius but if I put in the effort it shouldn't be too difficult.  That is the question I was really wondering.  However, we can assume the same situation for Linux+ if anyone could answer that one as well.  I am a current Linux user and understand the basics and last Python+?  Although, I would want to have a good understanding of Python+ in case I decide to go into a career involving programming.

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Welcome to the forums!

Everyone's different, impossible for me to tell you how long it'll take you to finish a certain exam material. Also, how would it benefit you if say I tell you it'll take you 3 months?

Just start studying and let it take however long it takes, you'll get there eventually :)

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited January 2022
    SecOps334 said:
    So I am wondering about how fast could I learn <fill in the blank> in order to pass the exam? 
    I find it impossible to answer this question for another person no matter which exam it is. To borrow a quote from UnixGuy, "Just start studying and let it take however long it takes, you'll get there eventually".
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is really going to depend on your level of knowledge to begin with, for me, I'd say 3 hours, just enough time to review the material they are testing on, but in my case I have a GSEC and was all set to take the CISSP before they cancelled on me due to a snowstorm. How long did you study to pass the Network+? I would use that as a gauge to estimate the time you would need to pass the Security+.  
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This question is hard to answer for ourself... imagine for someone you dont know at all. 
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I were you I'd find and take a practice exam and see how well you do.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited January 2022
    SecOps334 said:
    However, we can assume the same situation for Linux+ if anyone could answer that one as well.  I am a current Linux user and understand the basics
    Linux+ is a very tough nut to crack for most people. Keep in mind that it tests for 1-3 years of hands on experience as Unix/Linux system administrator. It is not an end-user exam, it tests for experience you build while managing dozens or hundreds of Linux servers for an enterprise. 

I teach Linux+ to young adults. About a third of each group already have some experience running Linux for hobbies or for programming/development. Maybe one or two in each group are pretty die-hard about it. 

My track with these students consists of almost 100 hours of classroom contact time: lectures, demoes and labs. They also need to do homework, with more reading and more labs. Generally speaking you can expect them to put in 140-200 hours. 

The first-pass rate on their exam is 50-70%.

and last Python+?  Although, I would want to have a good understanding of Python+ in case I decide to go into a career involving programming.
    Sorry, there is no such thing as Python+. Back in 2019 there was some rumor about it, but it does not exist. 

There are a few Python exams, I think Microsoft has an MTA on it... but nothing from CompTIA.