Options

Is CompTia worth it?

JwvantasJwvantas Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
I hear a lot of bad things about it. That it is not worth the paper it's printed on. I was thinking of getting a few of them. Mostly server +, Cloud + , Cloud essentials. Also looking at Data + and project +.

Don't know how much they will help me. Background:  a few years exp last job was working sd/prod support 1st level app support for the Cloud Engineers. Mainly Azure and Foundry while working with the Data Engineers NDM, Autosys, SSRS, SSIS. I passed the first level AWS Cloud Prac but failed the Azure Fundamentals twice by less than 100 points. Was going to put something with server in the name and something with cloud to see if it would get me some more exp and see if it would elevate me into a job with it plus my background. SO im not sure if they will help provide a good foundation or should i skip for a higher level?

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have only done A+ and Network+ from CompTIA and those credentials were good enough for what I used them for at the time. Both complimented my work experience during that period in my career, but then I moved on to other vendors whose certs better aligned with what I was doing (see my signature). To be fair to CompTIA, I don't think a lot of the certs they have now even existed while I was attempting other credentials so there was nothing for me to consider. 

I recommend that you do a job search in your area using some of the credentials you mentioned as keywords and see what type of results you get. If you see more Azure Fundamentals than Cloud+ then deciding between the two would be a no-brainer.

Good luck!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited January 2022
    Jwvantas said:
    I hear a lot of bad things about it. That it is not worth the paper it's printed on. I was thinking of getting a few of them. Mostly server +, Cloud + , Cloud essentials. Also looking at Data + and project +.

Well they meet DoD directive 8570.1 requirements for acceptable certifications to get a job as a contractor or employee with the federal government.  A+, Network+ for IAT Level 1 and Security+, Cloud for + IAM Level 1. So I wouldn't call them worthless. On the grand scheme of things, they are fairly cheap to obtain, you can get a book to study and a exam voucher for around $400. Compare this to the upper end of the scale, a SAN certification is going to run you around $7,500. 
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    The CompTIA cert objectives and study materials are very good, especially with the latest certification revisions for CySA+, Pentest+, and Linux+.
    If you think having CompTIA certs would be bad for your chosen career path, I would suggest studying the material and NOT getting the certs, or getting the certs and NOT putting them on your resume, LinkedIn, etc. There would be no ethical conflict in doing so.
  • Options
    FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Everyone so far has made great points. My experience with CompTIA certs echoes what they've said so far.
    • They are a shoe-in, if you have DoD or .gov requirements like 8570 or 8140.
    • Outside of US .gov and .mil, ROI depends on your preferred job market.
    • For each certificate, the objectives and curriculum do a decent or good job of covering a vendor neutral BoK.
    • The exams are built well: not simple regurgitation of dry facts, but testing for understanding of concepts. 
    • Pricing is affordable to moderate, upkeep with CEU / CPE is easy. 

Yes, there are competing certifications for specific topics that are "better" or more respected. On the other hand there are also competitors who are much worse in pricing, ROI or quality. 

And as JDM says: you're free to do what you like! You could just use their published objectives to shape your own research and studying, not even buying any of their books or exams. It'll just be a useful list of topics to study. 
  • Options
    jrisbrookjrisbrook Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are looking for certs to give you foundational knowledge and help to make you a well rounded technical professional CompTIA is def the way to go. Will you wow hiring managers looking to fill more advanced roles NO, but with minimal experience and some CompTIA certs you can get your foot in the door at a lower level and work your way up. 
    Currently working on : BS C.S.I.A - WGU

Just trying to be better today, than I was yesterday...
  • Options
    JwvantasJwvantas Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have nearly 5 years service desk exp. I don't need my foot in the door.
  • Options
    jrisbrookjrisbrook Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not to sound condescending but you spent 5 years on the service desk so something has to give. Either you aren't applying to the right roles or you don't have the skillset to move around. That or you may need to brush up on your interview skills. Certs can't do everything they are a tool in the toolbox.
    Currently working on : BS C.S.I.A - WGU

Just trying to be better today, than I was yesterday...
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I only sat for CASP+ though I reviewed the Sec+ material as well. It is decently structured that allows you to connect the dots across multiple topics or domains. 

As you are already in SD, at the very least, it will help you see the bigger picture and perhaps look at things from the perspective of other IT or InfoSec areas.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just the fact that you are contemplating if CompTIA certs are worth it for you suggest that they are. You would know if your experience and expertise has outgrown them.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]