Options

ISC2 Self Paced Training Worth It?

jam022316jam022316 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,
I was curious if the self paced video offering from ISC2 has a lot of fluff in it, or if it's a good source for getting the info you need to help you pass?  Being the mile wide inch deep test, I don't want to dive into too many topics and waste that precious brain space on things I need to know for the test lol.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Do you have a link to the material? I'm not familiar with it.
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I'm not mistaken, access to the material is limited to 6 months or 1 year (I may be wrong though). Before looking at self paced training, I suggest considering your study habits and work load (in case you're working) first to make sure you maximize it should you choose to subscribe. 
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IMO, CISSP is best studied with a couple of books. It's a big exam, but study material are available and not expensive (a few books, 3-4 books x 40$). Maybe it is only me, but I dont see much value in having a teacher reading me a books or slide. 
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken, access to the material is limited to 6 months or 1 year (I may be wrong though). Before looking at self paced training, I suggest considering your study habits and work load (in case you're working) first to make sure you maximize it should you choose to subscribe. 
    My boss ended up getting it for me and I'm already regretting due to workload.  You're right 6 months is a little tough to squeeze in with work load
  • Options
    IMO, CISSP is best studied with a couple of books. It's a big exam, but study material are available and not expensive (a few books, 3-4 books x 40$). Maybe it is only me, but I dont see much value in having a teacher reading me a books or slide. 
    I'm starting to feel that way with this training.  I'm not getting much from it but it's only been 2 or 3 days.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    It is rather interesting how much course material produced over the past five years has video, but there is simply very little worth watching in the presentation. You see the instructor's face and the slide s/he is talking to, and except for the occasional diagram, you really do not need to watch the presentation to learn the material.
    I like listening to material as I am doing of other things (e.g., walking my dog), so I appreciate when course material is made available in audio form, or I can record the audio from videos. I also like written transcripts of the presentation that I can copy, search, and pick out the facts and factoids for my study notes. Now if I could just find a good ChromeOS and Linux text-to-speech reader for text and PDF files I'd be all set!

• Options
    Seriously video training is my second and event third way to learn. It is too long compared to reading a book or doing some lab time. If you are very visually oriented, good video can save you some time of lab. 

I may prefer to watch some video if I am tired or I need to refresh some content in a new way. IT Pro.TV is more dynamic and is easier to watch on a slow Sunday afternoon. Otherwise Pluralsight is better. 
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have any recommendations on the books after latest exam revision? Thanks!
  • Options
    ksijur said:
    Do you have any recommendations on the books after latest exam revision? Thanks!
    I wrote the exam in 2017 or 2018, I used the ISC2 official guide from Sybex, CISSP Guide from Eric Conrad and CISSP 11th hour from the same guy.  I would avoid the Shon Harris book unless you really need to cover the most basics element in the most verbose way (in that sense, it is a great book). 

I am a very proud supporter and fan of O'reilly.. so I am jumping from 1 book to another easily.