Passed GCPN

JoveJove Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just passed the SANS Cloud Penetration Testing exam (GCPN) and I used the following books to get a better understand of cloud security:
  • Watched the SEC588 on demand videos three times.
  • Took the day 1-5 quizzes twice (until I understood each section and obtained at least a 85%-90%).\
  • Created a 205 page index/study guide.
  • Practiced each lab multiple times and took screenshots of the commands and placed them in my index.
  • Read the AWS Cloud Practitioner, Solution Architect Associate and Security books.
  • Read the Microsoft Azure Fundamentals and Azure Security book.
  • Read the GPEN and GCIH books (passed both exams in 2020).

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited February 2022
    Did you get a good score?  You look very prepared ;)

Congrats!
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, that's a lot of extra materials. I usually tell people to stick with the SANS books and not use anything additional. Do you think the other materials gave you knowledge that wasn't in the GCPN books?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    quogue66 said:
    I usually tell people to stick with the SANS books and not use anything additional.
    Yes, I agree. The GIAC exam items are based entirely on the contents of the corresponding SANS course. Any non-SANS supplemental material will help you understand the topics better, but won't significantly increase your chances of passing a GIAC exam. Thoroughly deconstructing the SANS course material and building your index is the key to passing a GIAC exam.

• JoveJove Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    quogue66 said:
    Do you think the other materials gave you knowledge that wasn't in the GCPN books?
    The other materials gave me a better understanding of cloud technologies, but having a well detailed index, as mentioned by JDMurray, is the key to passing the exam.
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you have any issues with the VM? I was unable to access the Internet due to DNS issues and had to work with the course author for a work around. I think they use the same VM for SEC588 and SEC510 because I had the issue for both courses.
    quogue66 said:
    Did you have any issues with the VM? I was unable to access the Internet due to DNS issues and had to work with the course author for a work around. I think they use the same VM for SEC588 and SEC510 because I had the issue for both courses.

No, I didn't have issues with the virtual machine or the vpn.
  • lucantislucantis Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Besides GPEN and GCIH, do you have any other pen testing experience? Is this part of your daily job? 
  • Bolo88Bolo88 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited March 2022
    Congrats!!
    I also passed the GCPN exam recently.  I also have a practice exam to give away that expires March 15.
    lucantis said:
    Besides GPEN and GCIH, do you have any other pen testing experience? Is this part of your daily job? 
    Yes, I perform vulnerability assessments on cloud and web technologies, so getting the GPEN, GCPN, and GCIH provided an excellent understanding of the technologies.
  • bhiter010bhiter010 Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you get a good score?  You look very prepared ;)

Congrats!

also want to know what is your score