Options

Linux or Juniper cert first

thecole1thecole1 Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I’m new to Linux & Juniper but need to learn the fundamentals of both in short order. I plan to study and get certifications to help structure my learning. The chosen learning paths and exams are:
  • JN0-104
  • 010-160
Any recommendations on which to pursue first?  

Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi, thecole1-

What is your current level of expertise? Do you have any other certifications or training (e.g., Network+)? That will help determine what my recommendation would be.
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    Hi Xagreus, 

Good point, I failed to mention that I did achieve A+ & Network+ years ago.  My most recent cert was AWS Cloud Practitioner but I'm completely new to Juniper and Linux is not my strong suit.

Thanks 
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited April 2022
    I'd say follow your interests.

If networking is more interesting to you then Linux I'd say go for Cisco not Juniper as their certs have more general networking concepts then Juniper certs.

If you are working with Juniper then go for Juniper certs but if you are just going for general networking knowledge Cisco does a better job than Juniper does. 
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    Hi, thecole1-

Thanks for the reply! I should have stated earlier: I applaud your desire to keep learning.

It sounds like it's urgent that you get both. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go for whichever I was most likely to achieve first ("low-hanging fruit"), since momentum can really carry over. Sounds like that might be Juniper, given your Network+ cert.

Another way to look at it: In your current job, which will be more immediately useful to your employer? Is there a gap in your team's expertise that you're trying to fill? Focus on that area first.

Hope that helps. :)
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    Thanks matt333 and xagreus, those are great points and make perfect sense. I appreciate your help as that is exactly what I needed to get past this point. I’ll shoot for the low hanging fruit which happens to be the most valuable to my employer at the moment as well. Once I’ve achieved the first one I’ll move on to the others. 

Thanks again!

• Options
    You're welcome - best wishes in your studies!
  • Options