Reduce CPU and GUP usage.

DouglaskishDouglaskish Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello there, buddies. This is my first post on this forum, and I am new to it. I'd want to get some gaming recommendations from you. My computer is a gaming computer. There are the most recent games I'm playing there. As a result, the game is consuming a lot of CPU and GPU resources at this stage. I'd like to know as little as possible about how to utilize it. Is there anyone who can offer some advice?
Tagged:

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The purpose of a gaming computer is to supply games with as much CPU and GPU as they need. It sounds like you are meeting this requirement. What else are you doing on the computer that requires a lot of CPU/GPU besides playing games?
  • DouglaskishDouglaskish Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for replying. Maybe you are right. However, I also do video editing along while playing games. Today I searched Google and found some tricks. There are several methods I have already followed. For example, disabled the unnecessary programs running in the background, disabled all the power preserving modes, etc. But some article asks you to reinstall the graphics driver. But I don't understand if the graphics driver is responsible for this problem in any way. Please suggest me. 
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You're not actually giving us anything useful to work with and you're forcing us to chip away at the problem, asking you for details bit by bit. 

But I don't understand if the graphics driver is responsible for this problem in any way. Please suggest me. 
    The thing is: you haven't described a problem, you haven't even mentioned symptoms. 

So can you please describe to us:

1. Your setup: hardware, OS, etc
    2. Your software: which games are we talking about? which video editing software?
    3. Your use-case: which games are you playing, while also doing other stuff?
    4. Your problem and symptoms: what is the exact use-case and situation you're doing? What is going wrong?
    What is the actual problem?!

I also do video editing along while playing games.
    This is your main problem. No one else on Earth can simultaneously edit videos while playing a game. If you have somehow mastered this ability, you should significantly upgrade your GPU (and possibly RAM and CPU) or have a separate computer each for editing and game playing.

• FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited April 2022
    No one else on Earth can simultaneously edit videos while playing a game. 
    Taken absolutely literally, you're right. :smiley: I'd have a hard time playing Overwatch, while simultaneously editing video content. But that's because a person, at max, literally has two hands, one head. :smile:

Putting that aside, as you point out, it's entirely possible to run two heavy graphical apps at the same time, but it depends on:
    • Either one very beefy CPU (8-12 threads) or a multi-socket board.
    • A swathe of RAM
    • More than one GPU, where one GPU is used by the game and the other by the video editing software (for rendering etc)
    But yeah... Limitations are perfectly normal in any given PC.

No one else on Earth can simultaneously edit videos while playing a game. 
    Taken absolutely literally, you're right. :smiley:
    I should have ended with: "...on the same computer."

• perujungleperujungle Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

It sounds like you're looking for advice on optimizing your system's performance while gaming. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your CPU and GPU resources:

1. Update Drivers: Ensure that your graphics card drivers are up-to-date. Graphics card manufacturers often release driver updates that can improve performance and compatibility with the latest games.

2. Monitor Temperatures: Use monitoring software to keep an eye on your CPU and GPU temperatures while gaming. High temperatures can lead to throttling, which impacts performance. Make sure your computer has good ventilation and consider optimizing your fan curves if necessary.

3. Adjust In-Game Settings: Most games have graphics settings that can be adjusted to optimize performance. Lowering settings like resolution, texture quality, shadows, and anti-aliasing can significantly reduce the strain on your CPU and GPU while still providing a enjoyable gaming experience.

4. Enable V-Sync: Enabling vertical synchronization (V-Sync) in your game's settings can help prevent screen tearing and reduce unnecessary strain on your GPU by limiting the frame rate to match your monitor's refresh rate.

5. Use Frame Rate Limiters: Some games allow you to limit the frame rate. This can help keep your GPU from working excessively hard to produce more frames than your monitor can display.

6. Close Background Applications: Ensure that no unnecessary background applications are running while you're gaming. Background processes can consume CPU and RAM resources, affecting gaming performance.

7. Monitor Resource Usage: Use task manager or monitoring tools to check which applications are utilizing your CPU and RAM resources. Close any non-essential programs that might be competing for system resources.

8. Overclocking (Advanced): If you're comfortable with it, you can consider overclocking your CPU and GPU. Overclocking can increase performance, but it requires careful tweaking and monitoring to ensure stability and avoid overheating.

9. Keep Your System Clean: Regularly clean out dust and ensure proper airflow within your computer case. Dust buildup can impact cooling efficiency and lead to higher temperatures.

10. Consider Upgrades (if needed): If your system is still struggling to handle the latest games even with optimization, you might consider upgrading your hardware. Adding more RAM, upgrading to a more powerful GPU, or even upgrading your CPU can provide a significant boost in performance.

Remember, finding the right balance between performance and visual quality is key. Not every game needs to be played on ultra-settings, and often, slightly lower settings can provide a smoother experience without sacrificing too much in terms of visuals. Enjoy your gaming sessions!

Not gonna credit that reply to chatGPT?