Options

how to scan for vulnerabilities in devices which only has serial ports, no ethernet ports.

kamilshaikkamilshaik Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello.

May anyone knows how to scan for vulnerabilities in a device which only has serial ports, no ethernet ports. it does not has IP feature.is there any tool available ?

Thank you in anticipation

Answers

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    edited July 2022
    Do you want to scan from the serial connection side or on the local host itself? For scanning on the local host you will use a system and application anti-virus and vulnerability scanner appropriate for the operating system. From the serial connection side, the local host's serial communications software will need to establish a serial connection to a vulnerability scanning application running on a remote host (via modems, cross-over cable, etc.).
    Look at commercial vuln scanners for the ability to scan over serial ports. You can also ask the developers of serial comm programs what they use to perform live (dynamic) security testing on their programs.
  • Options
    kamilshaikkamilshaik Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your prompt response.

Thank you for sharng your feedback on the cited subject.

I just wanted to tell you that I have a PLC which has only serial ports ( RS232 ). I wanted to hunt for vulnerabilities locally, I mean I want to connect directly to serial port and run vuln scanning tool to detect vulnerabilitues as we do for IP based/supported devices.

I checked with product OEM, They wanted me to go for upgradation.

Thank you.