Putting Stack Overflow profile on your resume?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am a contributor on slack for ~8 years.  I have maybe 20 questions solved for people in SQL and was wondering if you think adding this to my resume would be helpful?  Or is this something extra to add on another document or mention in interview?  

Just curious how you would proceed with this.  I have solved several complicated ask and have a good reputation.  Or is this something you should only list if you are like Jedi level?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited August 2022
    This is a "volunteer" opportunity that you should give yourself credit for on a resume or CV. On my resume. I do list my work at TechExams.Net as a volunteer effort in giving some value back to the Internet community for value from it that I have received.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I don't see why not, you can put as JD said as a "volunteer" experience, or I've seen people put similar stuff at the end of a CV under "hobbies" or "Interests" or "professional membership", you can frame it in many ways

if it's relevant to the role you're targeting, it can even go in your cover letter OR you can bring it up in the interview to demonstrate passion etc
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited August 2022
    @UnixGuy @JDMurray - I am in data integration, streaming and batch ETL.  It's the core of my work skills and I answer a lot of questions for people trying to update tables, aggregation, parsing etc....   I've been writing SQL daily for almost 10 years.  I just want to frame it like, yeah I know a lot.  

I don't have the linux or windows skills like some of the other folks, but my data skills usually trump them when going for architect positions.  SQL and the ETL, Pipeline tools.   Sometimes the roles are hybridized.  I just want to convey I have some skills lol....  
    Do you have any DBA certs?
    JDMurray said:
    I haven't explored that route, I am not sure why.  Maybe self doubt or lack of confidence.   
    I'm not even sure what DBA certs are out there anymore. I remember Microsoft had one for SQL Server (MSDBA). I'm sure Oracle has a few. I'm not sure about any other DB vendors (e.g., PostgreSQL, MariaDB, MongoDB, DynamoDB).
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray said:
    I haven't explored that route, I am not sure why.  Maybe self doubt or lack of confidence.   
    Well.. we are on a certification forum :)  Seriously, I think it could be a good idea. 
    edited September 2022
    I'm liking stack overflow I just had an answer I submitted years ago and got a like for helping someone out.  It makes me want to help more people with their SQL questions.  
    edited September 2022
    JDMurray said:
    Well.. we are on a certification forum :)  Seriously, I think it could be a good idea. 
    I do have a Teradata Associate Certification and a MS SQL Certification (Just the querying one) it was hard enough lol.   I also have several college courses and UDEMY courses around programming.  

I could get the associate level Oracle certification and maybe move into PL/SQL.  It's pretty nice, you can use SQL along with a procedure language to loop, build arrays etc...    The ONLY problem is it takes time and I like working with Python a lot more BUT.....   In my current role we are part of this cloud initative and we got left off 2022-2023 so we need to source data on-prem from Oracle Exadata redo logs so I will most likely go down that rabbit hole.  My engineer is working on setting up the new architecture for Informatica since we are moving away from another on prem solution due to $$$.  

So basically he is learning Linux as we go and I am learning Exadata lol.