Applying for two roles within the same company

E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
edited March 2020 in IT Jobs / Degrees
I am really interested in hearing someone's experience with this as an applicant or hiring manager. I applied for a role within an organization and over a week later another opening I am more interested in within the same company was posted. Does it appear odd to apply for both? Is it better to withdraw from the other? To make things more interesting the first role is a job that I interviewed for last year and did not land (I am a glutton for punishment). 

Full disclosure: I am not in dire need a job. I am in a really good place career-wise, but I have been very interested in this institution for the past five years so I keep trying just to see what happens at the least.
Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What are the roles?
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Both are Info Sec roles, but the 1st has more crypto focus and the 2nd is more network security engineering. Crypto does interest me, but I have more hands-on experience with networking topics (firewalls, vpn, ids, etc). 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not strange at all to apply for 2 roles (same department/slightly different) if you can do both roles. I would say no need to withdraw your application. See how it pans out. Hopefully once they call you (say for example first role) you can ask about the other role by stating your skills align with this too. 
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I were a hiring manager I would admire that this candidate really wants to work for the company. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    I really do not see the harm in applying for both, but I do not know for sure which is why I am curious to hear other's experience with this. I definitely will not withdraw. What's the worst that can happen?
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    High unlikely anything will happen. Keep us posted!
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
    Didn't land a role with the organization I originally posted this about, but tried with AWS and it did work. Starting my new job in October. 
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My Buddy started last week.

Making around 160k Base; plus a 60k sign-on Bonus.

The Company Stock Fully-vests after 4 years.

Because of the incentive/compensation structure... NOBODY ever stays beyond the 4 years.

Congrats :smiley: :smiley:
    volfkhat said:

Because of the incentive/compensation structure... NOBODY ever stays beyond the 4 years.
    I wouldn't say nobody as I have met several that have been there longer and are thriving. We shall see how it works out for me.  B)