Any advise for how to go about transferring to another team internally

matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited November 2022 in IT Jobs / Degrees
Hi All,
I'm looking at possibly applying for a more programming/devops roles at my current company. There are a few roles within my current org that could be a good fit but I'm not sure how to go about applying to these roles without burning any bridges with my current manager/team.  

Any advise on what is the best way to go about talking to my current manager and the other teams hiring manager without burning any bridges? 

Thanks!
Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    That depends on how your current manager will feel about you looking for opportunities elsewhere in the same company. Has anyone else on your team left for another in-company team? What was your manager's reaction to that move?
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unfortunately no one in my team has left to another team. Other teams members have transferred to our team but not the other way around. 
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    matt333 said:
    ... Other teams members have transferred to our team but not the other way around. 
    This is a good signs, it shows that your company is willing to make this happen or there is a culture of accepting this.

I found the best way to approach this is through an honest and open conversation with your manager, ask them of they can support you and say something along the lines of 'what can i do to make this happen without impacting my current team.."

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited November 2022
    Any manager that would consider a bridge burned because you joined another team is not person that you should want to keep a bridge to anyways. Within my previous employer, I changed departments twice last year because it was the best thing for me for both personal and professional reasons. I left that company just last month for an even better opportunity. I never took what others would think into consideration when making my decisions because the people that would have a problem with it likely do not have my best interests in mind anyways. The good relationships will remain intact and the burned bridges, well, so be it. Just build new bridges.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS