Girls gone wild on Twitter

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
edited November 2022 in Off-Topic
I created a twitter account on Twitter shortly after completing my SANS 610 course and certification. Mostly to get tweets about malware and security professionals.  Every few days i would receive an email about things security professionals tweeted. Stuff from people like Malware Unicorn, Little Bobby, Sysengineer etc. and so on.  I never really followed tweeter, I have not even logged into it for years. but continue to recent the emails. Recently in my email feed, I've been getting stuff like [REMOVED BY MODERATOR], and so on. Is this just me? Or have the standards at tweeter degraded so much recently that it's degraded into little more than another platform to spread smut?  Has another else noticed this? i checked my following setting and I'm definitely not following any of these users.     
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Maybe Twitter is under new management and the EULA has changed.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Can you explain what stuff are you referring to?

I don't use twitter anymore, but I get my daily dose of cringe on LinkedIn
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    [REMOVED BY MODERATOR]     
    Apparently I can't share the specific twitter accounts, but they were along the lines "Every person that likes my account I'll send a nude picture of myself to them" and so on. This has been a fairly recent development to my email feed, within the last month or so. 
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I haven't used twitter before so I'm not impacted at all, I also didn't use it for InfoSec news. At this rate, it sounds like another typical day in the twitterverse with the guard rails have fallen off!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    [REMOVED BY MODERATOR]     
    Apparently I can't share the specific twitter accounts, but they were along the lines "Every person that likes my account I'll send a nude picture of myself to them" and so on. This has been a fairly recent development to my email feed, within the last month or so. 

That's not a new thing at all, nudity has always been allowed on twitter
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    [REMOVED BY MODERATOR]     
     "Every person that likes my account I'll send a nude picture of myself to them" and so on. 
    Better offer than any TE members lol
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGuy said:

That's not a new thing at all, nudity has always been allowed on twitter
    That may be true, but I wasn't getting any of it in my inbox to just recently. i think I'll cancel my twitter account, i get more than enough spam already. 
    edited November 2022
    Just turn off the notifications and use Twitter as read-only. It's a great resource for what's (extremely) new if you curate who you follow carefully. Twitter is the first place I go to find out if a service is down (Steam, Netflix, etc.) or if an earthquake has happened in California. Also, you should never see adult material appear in search results in Twitter itself. To find that stuff, you need to use an external search engine, like Google or Yandex, and include the search term "Twitter".
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In the last year, I got a lot more of those "nudity" notification/message from this kind of account too. It is not new per se.  
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited December 2022
    I have not noticed any difference in my twitter experience. I am on there daily for infosec, NBA, some politics (inevitable), disney, day trading, etc. Nothing has changed for me during this change. I don't post much, just retweet things I want to save on my timeline. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    edited December 2022
    Same here. I follow topics like cybersecurity, infosec, space, Linux, and my area of California; I exclude topics that are just noise to me.