Options

Is the Security+ the next logical step even with no professional experience?

BasedThotBasedThot Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all, obtained my A+ in September and just got my Network+ last week, I also earned an entry-level Python cert in November of 2021. I have no professional IT experience and trying hard to land that crucial first job. Of course I've been sending applications to any job posting I can find in a 50 mile radius but what would y'all recommend for my next cert in the meantime? I know Security+ would be like, the "logical" next step but with me having no experience, I don't see an employer giving me a job that goes beyond the basics when it comes to security. Am I likely better off going after the Security+ or something else, say a Cisco or AWS cert?

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What type of positions are you applying for? In the 50 mile radius of your job search, what type of credentials are being asked for?
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    You need to build your knowledge and expertise using a mix of certifications, labs, and hands on experience.

Security+ can serve as the beginning of your journey, do it and then move to better and bigger things, specially certs that have a lab component where you get to practice and build up your skills
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    BasedThotBasedThot Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What type of positions are you applying for? In the 50 mile radius of your job search, what type of credentials are being asked for?
    Here are the last four jobs I applied to and the qualifications listed:

IT Support Analyst:
    A.S. in Technology related field or equivalent experience.
    Background in IT support/help desk.
    Experience with Microsoft Operating systems.
    Experience with GUI applications.
    Competent in telephone support                                                                                                                                                   

Tier 1 Technical Support Representative / Service Technician:
    High school or equivalent (Required)
    Work authorization (Required)
    Technical support: 1 year (Preferred)

IT Applications Solutions Analyst:
    Associate or bachelor’s degree in an information technology related field. Work experience considered in lieu of degree.
    2-5 years of end user technical support experience.

Help Desk Analyst:
    Possess desktop and desktop peripheral troubleshooting skills and techniques needed to solve complex issues (printing, applications, networking)
    Technical knowledge of cabling installation and troubleshooting
    Preferences, familiarity with:
    Fresh Service Helpdesk software
    Smart devices iPhone /iPad/ Android
    Printer/Print server support
    Microsoft Cloud Technology- Intune, Azure AD, O365
    Computer- Lenovo ThinkPad / HP
    Messaging Microsoft Exchange
    Collaboration Microsoft SharePoint
    Backup and recovery software- Acronis and Avamar
    Switches and routers - Cisco and Brocade