Reflecting on 15 yrs on TechExams

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
edited March 2023 in Root
Thought I'd check my join date and it's March 2008, that's 15 solid years on this platform but where has the time gone???

I made a similar post for my 10 years anniversary, and it feels like yesterday.

This forum, as small as it may be, has changed my life in more than ways than I realised.

In 2008 I was a fresh grad and I wanted to be a penetration tester, and I remember Keatron gave a solid advice back then. cybersecurity was relatively new and I remember @JDMurray was doing his Masters and I remember his posts about passing SSCP and CISSP, it inspired me a lot to better myself.

so 15 years later, I do consulting now and I think I have a good work life balance. In 2020, I didn't learn how to make Sourdough bread, instead I started a YouTube channel. I was so nervous, I didn't want people to make fun of my accent or the way I look, but I did it anyway. My first few videos sucked, but nonetheless I got encouragement from JD Murray and I respect his opinion. That was all the motivation that I needed, so nowadays I find myself learning more about video editing and camera stuff than I do about IT but hey, I didn't stop learning :)

This is my story in a video: https://youtu.be/DoTOtTY8gBI

I think it's my long winded way of saying thank you and I appreciate this forum and I want to give back as much as I can!

Here's to 15 more years...

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy said:

I think it's my long winded way of saying thank you and I appreciate this forum 

I agree - very long winded. Anyways, you are welcome.  B)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • candycorncandycorn Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like these types of reflection posts. I don't login as nearly as much as I used to. My profile says I joined November 9 of 2006. I would have been 19 years old then. I'm now 35. I also don't have half as many certs as most folks on here, or as nearly as many I would like... but my roles in IT have moved around over the past decade and a half. And with cloud computing blowing up the way it has over the years, there is so much more to learn.

I started out working at CompUSA in 2004-2005 selling computers, printers, peripherals and accessories. I wanted to to be a depot tech, but alas, I didn't have my A+ certification at the time (which I never heard of before then), which was their primary requirement. So I eventually made my way here to study for, and take my A+ (this was after I quit retail sales). I passed in July 2007 and that was the start of my career. I did help-desk roles for various companies in various capacities in several different fields. I've worked in aerospace, healthcare, government, insurance, and thrice as a Microsoft vendor/contractor.

The first stepping stone: https://imgur.com/a/z7w10kZ

My last role was in data science and cybersecurity, and that seemed to pique my interests enough to go back to looking for new certs to tackle. (And a good chance I'll be enrolled back in school as well). Unfortunately I was part of the massive tech layoffs that occurred back in January, but my desire to learn about big data, how its used, and how to answer big questions is something I'm still passionate about. I've found lots of great (mostly) free training opportunities through places such as edx, Udemy, code academy, MIT open learning, Coursera, etc, etc (Lots of MOOC options to choose from)

Anyway, I like to think I've had humble beginnings, and I still don't make a ton of money, but I do enjoy the work, and I still enjoy solving problems. And I don't think that would have happened without the advice, expertise, and positive support of the members at techexams.

Cheers!

ITIL, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Healthcare IT Tech, MTA: Server Fundamentals, MCP, Apple Certified Associate, CIW Associate
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    So good to hear your story @candycorn , it's amazing how quickly time has passed, and technology continue to evolve! I used to work primarily with Sun Solaris then Linux, but with cloud I had/wanted to pivot to cybersecurity, it wasn't easy to leave Sun Solaris behind.

Glad you're still hear and posting mate!

edited March 2023
    Thanks for the support! Still glad to here. A lot has changed in the IT landscape since I started. PCs are becoming more disposable, cheaper to produce, and the amount of e-waste we have it a bit depressing. I try my best to repurpose old equipment or find them new homes. It's interesting how computers are resembling complex SOCs with embedded chips than individual pieces of equipment, so trying to upgrade or repair them has been an uphill battle. I suppose that's progress for you. Looking back when I started this journey as a kid, I loved to tear apart machines, do upgrades, built PCs from scratch... all that fun stuff. Now a lot of things are all integrated and that same upgrade path has been more limited over the years. I can't imagine trying to do any sort of upgrade to an M1 or M2 powered Apple product.

Sorry, not trying to make this a depressing post/rant, but I feel like as we continue to progress into the future we may come to a point where nothing is really upgradable the same way it used to be (with the exception of rack servers perhaps). It's an interesting thing... like it could become an unnecessary or retired skill some day and no longer relevant in the IT field.
    ITIL, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Healthcare IT Tech, MTA: Server Fundamentals, MCP, Apple Certified Associate, CIW Associate
    JDMurray said:
    I think in July I'll be a member of TechExams.Net for 20 years. TE itself will be 21 years old in June. I joined when I was studying for the A+; little did I know what I was getting myself into B)

@JDMurray You have done an excellent job over the years keeping TE a safe and inclusive environment and I've personally used your advice to help advance my career.
    @candycorn I know what you mean, sometimes I fantasize about a life doing just PC support, things were more fun, but hey, technology evolve and yeah I personally find things more boring now :D

JDMurray said:
    I think in July I'll be a member of TechExams.Net for 20 years. TE itself will be 21 years old in June. I joined when I was studying for the A+; little did I know what I was getting myself into B)

You are TE my friend! Can't wait to see what the future holds for you!

In another month it will be ten years since I've joined this place. I arrived after completing the CCNP Security and was just beginning my CISSP journey. Definitely learned a lot and tried to help others whenever I could, but put more emphasis on cracking jokes lol.

I have had a lot of personal and professional growth during this period. Moved from California to The Netherlands and went from back-to-back financial instutions in the information security space to the world of audit in one of the big tech firms. No matter what I'm up to this place seems to be a part of my daily routine even when I am not studying for certifications. 

Cheers to TE!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    UnixGuy said:

And you are all my TE friends as well! And as for the near future, my 60th birthday is next month. B)

JDMurray said:
    UnixGuy said:

And you are all my TE friends as well! And as for the near future, my 60th birthday is next month. B)

Happy birthday!!! Enjoy it !!

• mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just logged in here for the first time in about 10 years. Where has the time gone? My join date says 28 July 2009. I remember doing my CCNA back in those days watching Jeremys awesome cbt nuggets videos which really helped me cement my passion and got my juices flowing.. I learned a lot from regularly visiting this site and there was so much useful content to download. Now I design networks for a living. Good fun!
    @mella060 Glad you're doing well!! so good to hear stories, this site has changed many lives thats for sure

• anthonxxxanthonxxx Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    UnixGuy said:

Advance Happy Birthday JD,
    Does that mean you will be retiring in the next couple of years? Do you see yourself stepping away from IT or you will still be working part time as long as you are still able to work? I probably still have 15 years to go before I reach the retirement age. I'm currently working in Internal Audit but considering to someday work in Cybersecurity or Data analytics. Perhaps do part time consulting work after I retire. In your opinion, do you think there is still a job prospect for both in the next 15 years? A colleague of mine once told me to learn mainframe 5 years ago as he thinks it's not going away for a long time. LOL
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks everyone, I would say that for many of you are my TE friends.  I have been here for the last 8 years and much before as a lurker. I wasnt participating because of my bad english.. something I had to overcome.  TE and most people here have given good advice to me.  TE is part of my daily routine or almost. 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    anthonxxx said:
    Does that mean you will be retiring in the next couple of years?
    Unless there is some unexpected lottery win in my future, retirement age for me will be (at least) 70.

• Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @UnixGuy that was a really good video, I enjoyed - thank you for posting!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
    @UnixGuy that was a really good video, I enjoyed - thank you for posting!

thanks mate, really appreciate it :)

• mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    anthonxxx said:
    Unless there is some unexpected lottery win in my future, retirement age for me will be (at least) 70.

Yep that sounds very much like me too lol
    JDMurray said:
    anthonxxx said:

But you will still be expected to contribute to the forum sir  o:)
  • nighasnighas Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @UnixGuy always drops great content on YT, 100% worth the time... check it out! 
    nighas said:
    @UnixGuy always drops great content on YT, 100% worth the time... check it out! 

thanks tuning in, I appreciate your support :)