Options

Lack of Motivation

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
I have my CISSP exam scheduled for next month and I'm suffered for a complete lack of Motivation to study and adequately prepare for it.  Which is going to lead to an Epic fail. One would think the $750 price of the exam would be somewhat motivating, but given I'll most likely clear 140k this year, losing $750 isn't exactly a financial hardship. I was a lot more motivated last year before my exam was cancelled due to a snow storm, but this year, I'm not not feeling it. Suggestions to spark my dying fire?  

Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    It's a tough one, we're all different so I dont know what motivate you.

Like you, I had no motivate for my last cert (SANS GSTRT), I just went through the motions and read the books and did the practice tests, I allocated certain hours to study and just studied (not hard but but enough).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    edited April 2023
    I am having the same apathy right now for the CISM exam I am taking tomorrow. You would think the (non-refundable) cost of the exam, and that CISM applies directly to my present career, would be motivation enough. Unfortunately, I find the material so dry and boring (read: non-technical) that I don't get the stimulation and interest I need to make a good push through it. Under other circumstances, it would be one of the many certifications that I studied for but never ended up taking the exam.
    However, I find that mixing up different types of study media (such as books in print and on screen, videos, audio-only, practice exams, flash cards) and study techniques (reading to myself aloud, standing while reading or watching, listening-only while walking my dog or playing Minecraft) helps me get in the study time. I make up for the lack of quality studying in any one session my repeating the material several times in subsequent sessions.
    Eventually, exam day arrives, I take the exam, and (usually) pass. But the purpose of certifications is to (#1) learn the material and (#2) get the paper. Regardless of how I do on the exam, I always feel that I could have done #1 much better.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I studied my butt off for the GREM, I guess part of the reason I was able to be more focused was I was single, well technically separated, so it was something to get my mind off relationship stuff. The same would hold true for my other SANS certs, my relationship with the ex wasn't the best, so it was easy to focus my attention elsewhere. Re-married now, when she says she wants to go Geo-caching or play D&D, I'm like lets GO, I can study later. :)   
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sometime in life, our priorities change and I think it is normal. Now, you should ask yourself if you are kicking your butt to finish your CISSP or just let it go. Then take a break of it, enjoy your new gf :)
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Any way to reschedule? Maybe you need a month or two of no studying. You may need a good session of mental health relaxation coupled with meditation. I wouldn't give up on it, I would just take some time off from studying infosec. Wish you the best!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I studied my butt off for the GREM, I guess part of the reason I was able to be more focused was I was single, well technically separated, so it was something to get my mind off relationship stuff. The same would hold true for my other SANS certs, my relationship with the ex wasn't the best, so it was easy to focus my attention elsewhere. Re-married now, when she says she wants to go Geo-caching or play D&D, I'm like lets GO, I can study later. :)   
    Sounds like you have your priorities straight.