Will Novell SELF STUDY KIT be all that is needed?

CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm thinking about buying the Novell self stuydy kit for one of the required CNE certifications. Has anyone seen a Novell self stuydy kit and if so, what is included?Books, CD's, loose papers etc? Most important - Is a specific study kit for a certification all that is needed to master the objectives and pass the exam?

The problem right now is that there are now exam books available for the *following certifications below so the only way is to buy a study kit to become CNE on Netware 6.5. It's rather pricy but what can you do? $396 each! icon_eek.gif There's a bundle pack with all the 5 study packs for CNE 6.5 for $956 and that's a great price compared to buying one kit at a time...you save a lot there.

* Novell Network Management: NetWare 6.5 (test 50-690)
* Advanced Novell Network Management: NetWare 6.5 (test 50-691)
* Novell eDirectory Design and Implementation: eDirectory 8.8 (test 50-695)
* ZENworks 7 Desktop Management Administration (test 50-694)

icon_arrow.gif Anyone interested in the study packs go here: http://shop.novell.com/store/novell/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.5071800

Comments

• borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used a Novell Press book to pass the CNA for Netware 6, but to be honest I failed the first time I took it because I was asked several questions I never saw details on in the book. As long as you get a good amount of hands on of building, loading, and managing a Novell 6.5 server I think you will do ok, of course a few co-workers of mine just used *braindumps* to study for their CNA which bugged me quite a bit. I have heard good things about their kits but I haven't used one myself, just one of their books which came with a 3 client version of Netware 6 to enable me to do the labs in the book.
  • CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    borumas wrote:
    I used a Novell Press book to pass the CNA for Netware 6, but to be honest I failed the first time I took it because I was asked several questions I never saw details on in the book. As long as you get a good amount of hands on of building, loading, and managing a Novell 6.5 server I think you will do ok, of course a few co-workers of mine just used *braindumps* to study for their CNA which bugged me quite a bit. I have heard good things about their kits but I haven't used one myself, just one of their books which came with a 3 client version of Netware 6 to enable me to do the labs in the book.

Thanks for the info :D

I got some info from Novell today via e-mail and they told me that the study kit is used in their training classes for individual programs etc. So each kit must be well written with labs and all so that will cover what you need to pass. I bet it has a lot of questions too so you can test your knowledge after each chapter.

Regarding practice tests to see if you are ready or not, I contacted Transcender and Selftest Software and asked them if they were planing on releasing some new tests for the following:

ANSWER: Not at the moment!

So the only way to make sure you pass is to STUDY like a maniac, especially if you don't have the expensive study kit.

I'll give feedback later this year when I buy my first Novell study kit.

Over and out for this time :)
  • emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We had two semesters of novell in school. We had a kit made by novell that contained books, the client , cd's, in a box. We had to pay 100 for it. We were told it was 1000 on the street. The book was straight to the point. not any filler at all. The cd's that came with it were sort of like nuggets. They would show how to perform different commands. And also discuss different subjects along with the commands. Not as interesting as nuggets by no means. I fell asleep many times. It was on dvd. I cant tell you how effective they were because i never bothered to take the exams. I was trying for other ones. sorry. good luck in your search
    lungsucker.jpg
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, if you are in classroom training. However for self-studying, you always get an addition reference.

I'm a CNA, CNE both NetWare 5 & 6. I went thru all the books and few training. If you are experience Novell or not your first time to take Novell exam. Then you might not need it. However it all depend on your exam.

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cosmocat wrote:
    I'm thinking about buying the Novell self stuydy kit for one of the required CNE certifications. Has anyone seen a Novell self stuydy kit and if so, what is included?Books, CD's, loose papers etc? Most important - Is a specific study kit for a certification all that is needed to master the objectives and pass the exam?

The problem right now is that there are now exam books available for the *following certifications below so the only way is to buy a study kit to become CNE on Netware 6.5. It's rather pricy but what can you do? $396 each! icon_eek.gif There's a bundle pack with all the 5 study packs for CNE 6.5 for $956 and that's a great price compared to buying one kit at a time...you save a lot there.

icon_arrow.gif Anyone interested in the study packs go here: http://shop.novell.com/store/novell/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.5071800

Bumping an old thread here but as I completed my CNE in 6 last year Im curious how you got on?
    The Novell Self Study kits are pricey but Im told they really do cover all you need to know to pass the exams and always have done. This is how many CNE's cleared tests in the past, but the kits are expensive. Classroom training costs more but the exercises in class will cover all you need for the exams and you get to leave with a workbook which is very useful for the exams. I have all this second hand as I never used Novell self study kits or afforded classroom training for my CNE. No doubt I would have cleared my CNE sooner and saved myself a few resits on some tests had I bought the Novell Self Study Kit in the first place although when I finished my remaining tests last year only the Upgrade exam gave me trouble and that was really because of the time constraints to prepare for and finish it in only three weeks before the exam expired. Studying for Novell tests using cheaper alternatives to classes and Novell Self Study Kits such as the Clarke books etc can be hit and miss as they do not teach the test so be prepared to look for a wide range of materials to compensate.

If you don't want the expense of the Novell Self Study Kits and you can't find many resources for Netware 6.5 then why not try Netware 6 study guides. The CNE is in Netware 6 after all and there are plenty of books on Amazon for NW6 exams. This way you have a fair amount of choice for books for your CNE exams. PM me for some advice. You can always learn 6.5 through an eval on your own time and by reading the Novell White Papers.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I've heard that while the (pricey) self-study materials are pretty good, the Novell CourseWare from the classes actually covers items the books don't.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote:
    I've heard that while the (pricey) self-study materials are pretty good, the Novell CourseWare from the classes actually covers items the books don't.

Thats what I heard. The courseware booklets you get in class were basically what you would be tested on, if you crammed those you were good for the CNA/CNE tests. At least that's my impression listening to folks who did them. The self study kits were on the money for the exams as well. Basically if by using the courseware booklet you reviewed the material covered in class or used the study kit, I think it was difficult to fail the tests.

I never used either and found cheaper alternatives like the Clarke Books, Novell approved books, White Books or Exam Crams very hit and miss for test preparation over the years.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its been awhile, but when a worked for a Novell Platinum, the Novell guys always said that the questions for the exams came directly from the course books and if you know the book inside and out you would pass.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Its been awhile, but when a worked for a Novell Platinum, the Novell guys always said that the questions for the exams came directly from the course books and if you know the book inside and out you would pass.

Thats what I heard too. The course book was a sure thing, better than that damn 1000 page Clarke book I hulked up and down the country during my commutes. If only my employer had sprung for the courses my CNE path would have been much more straightforward!

Such is life.