Virtual PC / VMWare and Vista

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anybody happen to know if either Virtual PC and/or VMWare are compatible with Vista?

I'm looking to upgrade my machine shortly (and chuck vista on) but want to ensure that I'll still be able to virtual lab! :D

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know VMWare is. I think VPC is but I'm not sure. I know Vista will install under MS Virtual Server, but I had to download the VS 2005 R2 SP1 beta to get Vista drivers.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want to use Vista as my host machine but host virtual OS's within it. :)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It would be kind of silly if Microsoft Virtual PC didn't run Microsoft Windows Vista. icon_rolleyes.gif

Vista runs in VMWare Workstation and Parallels just fine.
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    I am running Windows Vista as a host to VMWare Virtual Server guests. Runs just like it does on Windows XP and Windows Server.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    jdmurray wrote:
    It would be kind of silly if Microsoft Virtual PC didn't run Microsoft Windows Vista. icon_rolleyes.gif

Vista runs in VMWare Workstation and Parallels just fine.

I've had Vista Beta on both VMWare and Vitural PC (and it sucked) but it worked. I was almost suprised about your Parallels comment...then I remembered it is BootCamp that is not yet ready to run Vista.

Though...while silly for MS VPC to not support Vista...would it be surprising if it didn't :P
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Plantwiz wrote:
    ...then I remembered it is BootCamp that is not yet ready to run Vista.
    Yeah, Boot Camp does not currently run Vista. I've read that the next OS X release (Liger?) will not need BootCamp installed for dual booting Windows and OS X, so I don't know if Boot Camp will ever support Vista.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Virtual PC works...but very painfully slow (host machine is A64 3000+)...

I allocated 768MB of RAM and it pretty bled goo before it began to load its way into the desktop...saving the state made things a little bit faster in terms of start up...but every little configuration change takes the same amount of time as a "start up" would....
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use Vista Business on my IBM Lenovo T60 laptop with 2GB of memory. I allocate 256MB of memory to all my Virtual Machines. I have had zero problems running any of my virtual machines which typically include XP, Server 2003, Exchange 2003, etc... There are too many issues right now with hardware not liking Vista, poor driver support, poor software support, etc... Personally, I would recommend staying away from Vista right now. I've been using Vista on my business laptop since Rc1 and sometimes I wonder why I have tortured myself with it. I'm sure it will be a lot better once the service pack and better support for it is out.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I had some issues installing Virtual Server 2005 on my Vista desktop mainly due to UAC. I used this link and it then worked.
    Up Next : Not sure :o