computer probleem

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just built my first computer and have had it running about 2 weeks ago. I just bought windows vista ultimate. I just hooked everything and started my computer up to install vista and it turns on and booted to my old copy of xp and then poof the power shut off. any idea's of what could be wrong?? thanks for the help.

Comments

• mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Thanks for all the useful information that we could use to help diagnose the problem.
    Working on Linux+
  • skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sorry my first build. What would you like to know??
    Well, you said you had it running 2 weeks ago. Has anything changed since then? If so, what?
    Working on Linux+
    well I have evga mother board, evga video card, 2 320gb wd hard drives, dvd-rom drive, dvd burner, floppy drive, creative labs sound card, 2gb memory. oh and a 700watt ps

since the last time it changed. this time I plugged power into the dvd-rom, dvd burner, and added a hard drive.
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Undo any recent changes. See if it will boot normally. Then, make your changes one at a time, and you will be able to pinpoint your problem.
    Exactly what he said. ^
    Working on Linux+
    dont know what else to try. I unhooked the other hard drives and dvd burner and dvd-rom and tried everything seperately but the computer still doesn't stay on. Anyone have any other idea's??
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Hook up the motherboard, 1 stick of memory, video card if its not built within the motherboard, processor, and see if it boots.

Does it make any beeping sounds or does the power not come on at all?

If nothing happens when you push the power connector it could be the jumper from the power switch on the case to the motherboard got wiggled loose or the power supply is toast. Check the jumper first.

Let us know.
    it boots to the same point before and shuts off.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Put the windows XP CD in and do a repair.
    the computer wont stay on that far it turns on and shuts off with in 10 secs.
  • mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check to see that the motherboard isn't shorting out on anything.

Check for an extra standoff that isn't being used, or a metal piece that may be in contact with the motherboard now that you've applied some force when installing the new devices. Check to see if the motherboard is touching something that it shouldn't.

Try reseating the motherboard inside the case if all else fails.
    ok don't know what I did but it stays on now but how do I get to install vista to a new hard drive??
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Very funny, Garv
    Working on Linux+
  • Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    Not sure if this will help but there is a extensive white paper on TechRepublic that points out a few things concerning equipment and the like, you may have to register to read the papers.
    http://techrepublic.com.com/
    Someone asked me when will my studying be over......