getting my ccna study materials

neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
I have been browsing through the forums looking at which materials are best, but most of the posts are fairly dated. So what books should I get, that are up to date with what I need. I know that different books are better for certain topics then other, so what should I get in order to get a solid grasp of everything.

I also will be setting up a home lab, and looked over the faq posts, most of which are fairly dated as well. So what equipment do I need for the ccna, that will work for future cisco certs as well.

Thanks in advance
1's and 0's

Comments

• borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently using the Cisco Press books, it came with 2 books, one covering the Intro and the other the ICND by Wendell Odom, this is official self-study material so I guess it's a fairly safe bet for the test, also create an account with Cisco and use the resources they have there to help you study (they have practice test, sims,and videos for free):

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I studied from the Sybex study guide, trancender study guide and the practice questions that give tracender also and i got 961 in exam :)

I also read the curriculum 3.1
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For studying, I'm using the Sybex 5th edition, Technotes on this site, the CCNA Prep Center (very good resource)

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main

I've also purchased the Cisco Press CCNA Quick Command guide.....and also I've bought the CCNA flash cards but do not plan to use them until about 3 weeks before the exam to jog my memory.

If you're looking for a basic recommendation of a book I'd say the Cisco press books or Sybex 5th edition by Todd Lammle.

Good luck
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    neo468 wrote:
    I have been browsing through the forums looking at which materials are best, but most of the posts are fairly dated. So what books should I get, that are up to date with what I need.
    Other than minor tweaks to the CCNA blueprint -- a lot hasn't changed since the last major update from the 640-607 CCNA exam to the 640-801 exam. The Cisco Press books still cover all the material you may need to know, and I think the Sybex 5th has added the "missing NAT chapter" to the CD... but always go to the publisher web sites to get the latest updates or typo fixes.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!