Is CWSP reputable?

SUBnet ZEROSUBnet ZERO Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
anyone have the CWSP certification?

is it useful? thanks

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    CWNP and their certs have built up a very good reputation in a relatively short amount of time. Whether the CWSP is actually useful for you depends on a lot of factors. What type of job you have/want, your location, experience, other certs, etc..

But you need to start with the CWNA first...

Just notice this topic is in the wrong forum. I moved it to the CWNP forums.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Wireless security continues to be a hot information security topic and will only grow in its necessity in the future. Many organizations recognize, require, and value the CWSP, including Cisco and the U.S. government and military. Here's a press release from the CWNP comparing the money value of the CWSP with the Cisco CCIE: http://www.cwnp.com/about/news/2005/2005_01_03.html
  • wmackeywmackey Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the CWSP cert. I can certainly testify that it is a tough and rigorous test. If you want to pass you will need to read and understand the IEEE 802.11 handbook and the IEEE 802.11i specification. Some practical experience with Wireless switches (not just AP's) will also help a lot.

Wade Mackey
  • SturmbahnSturmbahn Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was recently promoted from an in-house hotel guest helpdesk to full desk/field network technician. We are currently attempting to upgrade the wireless networks at our properties due to the high multipath problems stemming from our current implementation. If I did not have the CWNA or CWSP certifications, I would have been stuck twiddling my thumbs during our meetings with wireless mesh integrators instead of fully participating in inspecting their design and security solutions.

I will also say that the CWSP is not an easy exam. Study the 802.11i protocol and memorize the key generation/distribution process. The practice questions left much to be desired concerning 802.11i; holes that my exam more than made up for.