Passed today!

gmdeppgmdepp Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
After 1.5 years of stalling I finally passed my A+ this morning. :P Took the A+ hardware a month ago and OS this morning. Couple of things to stress:

Get more than one source of study material. I love Transcender and also used free stuff at various websites, like the tech notes here. I followed this all up with a good reference book like Mike Myers all in one, but I recommend you do not read this type of reference cover to cover unless you have very little hands on experience. Basically take as many tests as you can get your hands on and make notes of things you don't understand or get incorrect, then use reference books, this forum, etc. for questions. Also they are a GREAT historical reference, I grew up in DOS and just did what I had to to play games. I learned a lot about what the actual commands do.

The reason I say get more than one source is (in my opinion) the A+ tests are all about reading between the lines and understanding the logic behind why the question is being asked and phrased in a certain way, rather than simply answering the question. I think if you understand the topics behind the question then the correct answers pop out at you, even if the graphic or language of the question doesn't quite make sense or follow exactly with the way you are used to doing things. This is also the reason it would be very hard to use a braindump.

Also, be aware that the pre-test tutorial is EXACTLY the same from the adaptive days and the instructions talk about an adaptive test format, but when I took the actual test it was the linear. It kinda freaked me out, if you have any questions ask the test person.

I went very, very slow and finished in 45 minutes, then went back through all 80 questions. I think I fixed ~10 questions by going back through. Finally I went through all the questions again just to make sure I had the correct amount of answers. Those questions that ask for 2 or 3 answers always trip me up in the practice tests, I always seem to forget to check 2 or 3, so I went through the entire test to make sure if the question asked for 2 answers there were 2 boxes checked. After all this I still had 20 minutes left when I finished the test.

It also helped me to actually get a voucher and transcender deal, then schedule the test. I had to take time off of work for it, so it was locked in and would be difficult for me to reschedule it. Having a definate date helped get my butt in gear and study. I recommend you schedule your test and try not to change it unless you have to.

It is not worth stressing yourself out over, do not stay up all night studying for it. Just study, do the practice tests and take the thing!

Post here if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to help anyone out. And thanks to everyone who posts here, you don't know it but all your answers and tech notes helped!!!

Comments

• LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Outstanding recap and congrats on the pass, what does the future hold?
  • gmdeppgmdepp Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Net+ is next, going to do A+ -> Net+ -> MCSA -> MCSE and then figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I may throw in a Cisco somewhere, CCNA or something, we'll see. I want to lead PC, NT, etc teams and am currently on a Help Desk. Thinking I can get MCSE, move to PC team and then my career will take off icon_rolleyes.gif
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    A+>Net+>MCSA>MCSE is a good road. Thats the road i've been on but had to take a break after the MCSA to throw in the i-Net+. Now im back studying for the 217 test. The i-Net+ is actually pretty good test to take after the Net+ because it covers alot of the same topics.

Good luck to you.
  • imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I know how you must be feeling cause I just passed to!!. I think that I'll follow the same path.

Thanks once again everyone for all your help. If I can return the favor................ :D
    Congrats on the pass imfrom51
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Congratz.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • rcsnydleyrcsnydley Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! You are taking the same track I plan on taking. I am going to go for CCNA and CCNP after Microsoft.
    The only question I is why MCSA before MCSE or does it matter. I'm still a little confused about the two certs.
  • maanitrulesmaanitrules Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WOW.. i am so happy for you .. its great to know that u are now A+ Certified..
    i have passed the A+ Core Hardware Test too.. and am gonna take the new OS test including XP and stuff..
    would u mind sharing some of ur resources with me.. i only have the mike meyers book..
    i am learning this course in high school rite now.. but my teacher doesnt have a lot of other resources.. i would love to get my hands on some other stuff..
    i really want to pass this test.. so i can get on with net + and other stuff.. id really appreciate if you wouldnt mind letting me in on some resources..
    thanx again..
    u can IM me at toocoolmaanit or maanitrules11
    or ajmaanit_shah@hotmail.com in msn messenger
    or toocoolmaanit@yahoo.com in yahoo messenger..
    id love to get ur feedback bout the test.. and would love ur help regarding what questions were on the test..
    thanx again..
    Maanit