Just got books. Looking for advice

hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Got my CCNA last week and decided this was the next place to go. Seems pretty quite here compared to the CCNA forum.

3 books were delivered by Fedex today. All Ciscopress stuff. Does anyone know how to read while you're sleeping. There's a ton of material here.

Figured I'd start with the CVOICE material. Any comments/suggestions? A lot of the stuff is completely new to me.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hedhrts wrote:
    Seems pretty quite here compared to the CCNA forum.
    Well of course it is -- we all use our internet connections and just chat on our IP Phones all day.... I'm hosting 2 conference calls right now and have 3 others conversations on IP Speaker Phones. I just upgraded my DSL connection, so I'll be bringing our Battlestar Galactica Beer and Pizza Friday Video Conference back online soon.

Ha Ha.... just kidding. icon_lol.gif

CVOICE is a good place to start..... and things may be easier now that there is a book with CVOICE as part of the title. Back in the old day (3 or 4 months ago?) when I got my CCVP we had to guess which suggested books went with which exam. Gosh, you guys have it so much easier these days. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Are there any issues/problems related to going from CCNA directly to CCVP without picking up the CCNP in the process? I am not referring to official requirements but educationally.

I read somewhere that if you skip over the CCNP you will not attain the more in depth coverage of certain topics such OSPF and BGP etc and routing and switching, that you should really have under your belt first.

Any of you Cisco gurus have any educated opinions on this? If it is doable then fine, if it is unadvisable I might want to think about it more...

Thanks icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I think it is very doable. The voice side of things is very different than data. The voice part relies on the data side for transportation, but you do not have to be a data expert to learn voice. But if the data network isnt running correctly, it doesnt matter how you set the voice up, it wont work. Some data concepts are key and you need to know them (ie trunking and QOS).

In my day to day as a Cisco voice engineer, I rarely deal with the data side of things. Others may disagree, but thats my take on it.
  • ~Scott~~Scott~ Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    caseyg1204 wrote:
    I think it is very doable. The voice side of things is very different than data. The voice part relies on the data side for transportation, but you do not have to be a data expert to learn voice. But if the data network isnt running correctly, it doesnt matter how you set the voice up, it wont work. Some data concepts are key and you need to know them (ie trunking and QOS).

In my day to day as a Cisco voice engineer, I rarely deal with the data side of things. Others may disagree, but thats my take on it.

OK, then we're moving in the right direction..... icon_twisted.gif

Inside joke.... IT Dude and I were discussing a study partnership but he had some apprehensions in turning directly to the CCVP from CCNA. I have immediate need for the voice education but may at a future date go back and get the CCNP and CCDP. It would only be five exams for me to achieve both.....
  • ~Scott~~Scott~ Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mike, you have done both... what's your take?
    Ok guys,

Point well taken. Yes, Scott maybe a little apprehension or perhaps let's call it being an informed consumer. If caseyg1204 is indeed correct in his perspective, then I am a happy camper! :)

Let's see what Mike's read is on this....Stay tuned. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I think caseyg1204 nailed it -- I vote very doable also. icon_thumright.gif

The CCNP is the next logical step after the CCNA -- but if you have an opportunity for Voice or Security, go for it. You can "loop back" for the CCNP later. You'll just need to study QoS a little harder since you won't have gotten a taste of it from the CCNP -- but the Odom book is great -- so even that isn't really a problem.

It is nice to be able to do both sides -- Voice and Data -- but if someone gives you a good network to start with, then you should be able to do your voice magic. If you're working with "old CCNPs" you may need to take the lead on QoS. If you get to work with a "new CCNP" or a CCIP you might consider letting them deal with QoS -- if they convince you they know what they are doing.

Once you're past QoS... that's where we call you Toto since you're not in Kansas anymore once you start learning Voice. The Voice side is a whole new networking world for you. Some things will seem familiar.... but everything else is new and different.

As long as you've got some CCNP or CCIP (or greater :D ) backup on the job, you should be fine going from CCNA to CCVP. If you're working as part of a good team, you may never feel the need to get the CCNP.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Great reply Mike! Thanks for the input because I have been analyzing this before jumping in the water. I know the traditional route is CCNA- CCNP but it seems like CCVP and CCSP are also specialties that can be very interesting and challenging.

I just did not want to get in over my head or have the feeling that my education is lacking, but as you said you can loop back and grab the CCNP at some point.

Thanks for the experienced perspective. I appreciate it! icon_wink.gif