windows vista question

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I pre-ordered windows vista premium and was wondering does that come with the microsoft office and outlook built into it already or do I have to buy those seperatley?

Comments

• drcnetdrcnet Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's Microsoft. You got to buy it seperate dude.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Office 12 aka....Office 2007 (word, excel, outlook, etc....) all the Office 2007 versions are sold exactly as the previous Office 2003, Office 2000, '97 etc.. separate of the OS.

You may get a pre-install of WORD if you buy a system from one of the major MFGs, but otherwise, you will need to buy your retail copy of Office to work on your retail copy of Vista.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Yep, what's been said already. With Vista you do get stuff like Mail (next version of Outllok Express), Calendar, the basic Word Processor, etc. But Office is a separate product icon_sad.gif If you want an alternative Office suite that free, that about 95% compatible with Office 2003 and below (the default file system for Office 2007 is htlm based, hence .docx, etc), you should check out Open Office here: http://www.openoffice.org/, until you have the £175 - £500 (depending on what version of Office you want). Or you could try Microsoft Works 2006 for about £65.

Hope this helps

-Ken
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Save your money get yourself Unbuntu and Open Office get a decent graphics card and get XGL working
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say keep Vista, especially if you like gaming (I don't even want to start discussing about unbuntu/linux versus Windows) and try openoffice, maybe you'll be happy with it and you can invest in a nice graphic card to enjoy your vista.

Personally i didn't like openoffice, I've only tried it a few minutes though and it was an old release but i couldn't get to work the auto correct which is vital for me as I have to write in 3 languages. If you have enought money to spend go Office 2007.

I know that since last year the French Police only rely on OpenOffice (they're still trying to figure out how to use a PC at this stage anyway :D:D:D ).
    And even my company which is an high-profile IT company is considering using openoffice, I've heard there are some beta testers trying it for the moment.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I didn't care for OpenOffice at first either, but it was all we had where I worked and I got use to it pretty quickly. Now I have no problem using it. Download the latest OpenOffice install (for Windows or Linux) and force yourself to use it; you'll grow to like it.
    What is microsofts game charging people so much for a new GUI because that what VISTA basically is

I can modify my XP to look like Aero so why do I need to invest in Vista lol

Also the price of Office 2007 is outrageous

ally_uk wrote:
    What is microsofts game charging people so much for a new GUI because that what VISTA basically is

I can modify my XP to look like Aero so why do I need to invest in Vista lol

Also the price of Office 2007 is outrageous

You obviously don't know about Vista.

DirectX 10 will only be available on Vista, all new generation of games is coming such as crysis using directx10. if you wanna enjoy the new generation of games you'll have to go vista.

hope this is clarifying.
    I leave the gamesplaying to the consoles :)

ive got better things to do then to worry about direct x 10 and how many pixels my GPU pushes out

Sure if your a avid gamer then hey go the Vista way i'd personally invest in a PS3

After recently viewing Vista sure it has eye candy and they have made navigating through the control panel a damm site more irritating added a few bells and whistles and a lick of paint nothing that really innovative it cetainly didn't have the wow factor that Gates was banging on about

As for the fancy sidebar that was done years ago and Aero sucks XGL is alot better

And what the hell happened to the new filesystem MS were going to implement? hmmmm

The pricing is OTT as well

£300 for a OS and office suite screw that i'd get faster loading times by going the open source route and the best part about it

it's Free

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Ally im starting to think your a Linux / *nix sales person icon_lol.gif

(Dont take this wrong you just have a passion for flaming M$ and singing Opensource praises icon_wink.gif )
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    ally_uk wrote:
    I leave the gamesplaying to the consoles :)

ive got better things to do then to worry about direct x 10 and how many pixels my GPU pushes out

Sure if your a avid gamer then hey go the Vista way i'd personally invest in a PS3

After recently viewing Vista sure it has eye candy and they have made navigating through the control panel a damm site more irritating added a few bells and whistles and a lick of paint nothing that really innovative it cetainly didn't have the wow factor that Gates was banging on about

As for the fancy sidebar that was done years ago and Aero sucks XGL is alot better

And what the hell happened to the new filesystem MS were going to implement? hmmmm

The pricing is OTT as well

£300 for a OS and office suite screw that i'd get faster loading times by going the open source route and the best part about it

it's Free

I agree with you 100% with all you stated above. instead of having a clear view of your tasks its pretty messed up by annoying things in vista.

I believe Gaming with PC offers better advantages but thats another debate.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    zebra-3 wrote:
    DirectX 10 will only be available on Vista, all new generation of games is coming such as crysis using directx10. if you wanna enjoy the new generation of games you'll have to go vista.
    ...and buy a DirectX 10 video graphics card with Shader Model 4.0 support.

DirectX Frequently Asked Questions

Microsoft DirectX 10. Fact Sheet. January 2007 (Word doc)

DirectX 10 Wiki
    I actually was a Avid windows user from the 3.1 days first pc was a 286 I used to play certain delights such as wolf 3d, crystal caves and nighthunter on it ahh the memories might download some abandonware tonight lol

Of course I then developed the taste for windows i remember first seeing 95 and thinking whoa this is where it's at I then progressed to 98 to Xp skipping Mistake Edition and 2000

Seems kinda strange but back in those days i was a ignorant pc user clueless about Macintosh and Linux if somebody mentioned Macintosh I would probally think they were referring to a jacket or something along those lines.

I then spent 2 years working as a helpdesk support technician for a company whos motto was Linux open source wtf is that? we don't support that windows all the way baby

I remember some guy had a problem with there macbook and we refused to work on it because it was a apple looking back on that i'm thinking wtf lol

So I joined my new job become brainwashed got introduced to ubuntu and Debian Sarge and haven't looked back Windows is just to straight forward I guess i prefer the challenge and having to think aspect about using a UNIX/LINUX system plus it's free powerful and does everything windows does so what else do you want?