Recommended books for NET+

LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im crossing my fingers for doomsday (mon/tues when i take a+ core/os lol icon_wink.gif ) and I wanted to know what books you guys recommend that I should purchase to help me with my network+ studies. I have examcram2 book called "network+" and a prentince hall/marcraft book called "network+ Certification".

I found that the examcram2 book was very user friendly and helpful as opposed to the prentincehall/marcraft books for my A+ studies. If any of you know of any very informative books that are user friendly (so i wont fall asleep icon_wink.gif ) please advise me! THANKS! :D
It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I recommend All-in-One Network+ Exam Guide by Michael Meyers.

It's the only guide that I used and I feel that it covers the subject quite well.

Best of luck on your exams.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    janmike wrote:
    I recommend All-in-One Network+ Exam Guide by Michael Meyers.

It's the only guide that I used and I feel that it covers the subject quite well.

Best of luck on your exams.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I keep hearing about this Meyers guy and Im gonna give it a try. :D
  • FR29FR29 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sybex, is also a good one.
    She don't come, and I don't follow.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with janmike - Mike Meyers AIO is the book I used and found it excellent.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I used the Sybex book and passed no problem.
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to try and get the NET+ before the end of the year. Anyone know if they will be updating the exams anytime soon?
  • Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    I am using the Mike Myers book. I find that it keeps me interested and informed. I too hope to be certified before the end of the year! Best of luck on the studies! icon_exclaim.gif
    anyone know the isbn# for the most up to date meyers and sybex NET+ books?
    also.. anyone know how the examcram2 net+ and marcraft books compare to the sybex and meyers book? I really dont wanna waste any more money if I dont have too. Im using a exam essentials 5.5 cd too for practice.
  • embodierembodier Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the Meyers Network+ book. It looks really good (I have only really flipped through it). What I like about his writing is he throws in some humor here and there. Its a big book to read so a little humor now and again is going to be nice.

I also suggest setting up a network at home and play with a few network OS's. I have really learned a lot doing that. I do a lot of network stuff at work. The hands on experience has been a big help. Im hoping it will make my study time short so I can take the test once I move back to the USA which will be in a few weeks...(live in the Caribbean as an "IT guy" for a med school. Anyone need a job? :) )
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I really need to get a home network going, so I can get some hands on knowledge rather than just book knowledge. Networking was one of my weak points while I was in school. I mostly learned cisco on simulated routers etc etc. I have a AOL DSL modem on my good computer and it plugs in via USB... I have a 56k modem on my backup computer.. I dont have any network cards... What is the cheapest thing I can do so i can get some experience?

Can I use a cross over cable with my situation or is that not an option since Im connected via USB?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Easiest would be to buy two NICs (I've seen them for $9) and a crosscable. You'd be able to share the internet connection and use it for both PCs :)
  • embodierembodier Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LETHALAI,

I started out with a hub, 2 computers, some cables and a cable modem. Windows XP makes it very easy to share that dsl internet connection. Hubs are cheap. A crossover cable would be ok in place of the hub but if you have any desire to expand with another couple of computers the hub will come in handy. Install Windows server...2000/2003 or whatever you can get your hands on. Also would be kinda cool if you had time to also mess around with Linux...fun OS but big learning curve if you have lived in a windows world all your life like me. If you can get your hands on a cheap router then I would also get that. Also a cheap hardware firewall would be fun also. The more you configure these types of devices the more you will understand how networks work. Where the learning comes in is when your trying to do some simple task like share files and for some reason box A cant see box B. Then you start trouble shooting. Ping will be your best friend. I also suggest going to Home Depot or some other hardware type store and buy a box of CAT 5 cable and learn how to make your own straight through and crossover cables. In the long run you will save money that way. This means invest in cable crimpers and a cable tester would also be handy. Then once you get that Network+ and get a job you will at least have hands on making cables, running the cables in a basic configuration with a router, firewall and hub. :)
    Thanks a lot for all your help. Once I get some money together (I'm broke because of the $300 for the A+ exams.. lol), I'll buy the things I need for a home network. Thanks again! :D