OS Technotes!

abclukeabcluke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hiya

In this post "What is the hardest topic of o/s exam to study?" webmaster posts a link for a page he has setup for all the objectives for the DOS command objectives. Why is this not on the technotes page in the comptia OS page? Are there any other technotes other than the HDD ones?

Great page webmaster, using it now to complete those objectives :)

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It isn't listed because it is still listed on my white board, as in: I still have to finish it. I've quite expanding it because I wanted to wait for the 2003 objectives... but I guess I forgot all about it (many things on my white board ;))

I will see if I can finish it very soon, and add some info coresponding to the 2003 exam, if any. The problem is that it is pretty hard to write about, it may seem like just the same output when running the command with /?, but as you know that may differ per OS. Also, some commands are supported in some OSs and in other their not, and I don't know by heard when some commands were introduced, so that takes some extra time doing research.

Thanks for reminding me. icon_thumright.gif
    Are there any other technotes other than the HDD ones?
    I'm sorry, no, not at the moment.
    I hired a professional author to write more A+ TechNotes, but she prooved not to be professional at all. I've been looking for another writer, but they are hard to find so I'll guess I'll have too write more for A+ myself :)
  • abclukeabcluke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah I see webmaster ;)

thanks anyways, helped me earlier on.

I have printed off the 2003 objectives and am going through them ticking each one as I make notes about it. It seems to be sinking in. The one thing I hate about the OS exam is remembering things like:

start>programs>accessories>system tools>etc etc

the paths to get to each place, especially the network settings, considering there all different for each version of windows. icon_sad.gif

oh well, gonna try and get this done by next week.
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    abcluke wrote:
    The one thing I hate about the OS exam is remembering things like:

start>programs>accessories>system tools>etc etc

the paths to get to each place, especially the network settings, considering there all different for each version of windows. icon_sad.gif

that's one of the things i thought important when i was studying for a+. it didn't arise at all in my exam (adaptive), but likely to be seen in linear.
    A+ Moderator
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    These 'paths' became more important in MS exams as well, although these questions are now turned into sims, where you actually have to follow the path to the option/setting and select/enable/disable/change it. The good thing of this more realistic approach is of course that you can check menus and tabs to find the option.

About 5 years ago when documenting/writing became more part of my job role I made it a habit to always look carefully to the name of a dialog box and other elements and print it in my head. Eventually it proved to be very doable, actually quite easy if you compare it to all the commands (and switches), dir paths, etc on a Linux/UNIX, VMS, Netware etc.

Another, perhaps related thing that helped with understanding the Windows GUI is to know the name of elements such as the difference between a radio button and a checkbox, or textfield and text area, sliders, drop down lists etc. For those that speak English as their first language it might all be obvious, but for others: a good way to identify them all is to play around with forms in MS Access.