These exams are taking a toll

Irish ManIrish Man Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
icon_lol.gif

Just wondering what type of timeframe most of you guys are knocking these exams off in ? Do you take brakes after completing an exam ?

I wrote 90-270 in December and 70-290 in Janurary and am now studying for 70-291 roughly taking a week off between writing the exam and preparing for the next.

Whats your MCSE schedule like ?

cheers
Colin

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did an exam per month while studying 40-50 hours a week. Some can do it faster, some take longer. It depends on how much detail you want to go in, how much prior experience you have, how fast of a reader you are, how good you are at picking up the concepts, etc... You will probably be able to do it in shorter time than me considering I go into extreme detail and start reading stuff like white papers about the stuff I learn which is much more than is needed for any exam. Also, I don't take breaks from the exams since my company won't let me. I probably wouldn't if I was doing everything on my own time anyways.

I can definitely see how it takes a toll on people though. I basically am doing non-stop exams for a period of about 2 years because my company is requiring it. I don't mind it too much since I am really interested in the material and I enjoy it. I've had prior experience to a lot of the information anyways; which of course helps. All I can say is, take a break in between exams. Just don't end up taking too long of a break to the point where you don't end up going onto the next exam.

Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icroyal wrote:
    I did an exam per month while studying 40-50 hours a week.

One Question - how can you study microsoft stuffs 40-50 hours a week and work at the same time ? icon_eek.gif
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Took me roughly 5 months beginning-to-end to get MCSA because I failed 291 three times...

there's been threads that talk about averaging roughly 3-5 (more advanced ones, working people) exams (MS and non-MS) in a year...so if you scale some of the easier exams in MCSE with the "harder" ones...and factoring your other obligations in school/work/family, I think it takes most people around 8-12 months for MCSE IMO?

But of course, in the end, it doesnt matter what the next guy do or how long they take to do it, it's about what you're doing...

ps...I see you're from Toronto...Toronto, Canada? :o
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    zebra-3 wrote:
    icroyal wrote:

One Question - how can you study microsoft stuffs 40-50 hours a week and work at the same time ? icon_eek.gif

I think he means an exam per month while working 40-50 hours a week....
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • catlococatloco Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tend to do them every two or three weeks for the easy certs. Then 1 month for the harder MCSE Exams. Just depends on how much you know or used the topic you"re studying for.
    MCITP: SA, MCTS, MCSE 2003+S, CCA, MCP, MCDST, A+, Network+, i-Net+, Security+
    zebra-3 wrote:
    icroyal wrote:

At work, I study half the time and go out on jobs the other half of the time. At work I contribute about 20-30 hours of my study time. Pretty good deal :) I know lots of admins who do nothing but play games, talk to people around the office all the time, and just generally only do real administering for like 10% of the day. I actually make very good use of my time and actually study every chance I get.
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Irish Man wrote:
    icon_lol.gif

Just wondering what type of timeframe most of you guys are knocking these exams off in ? Do you take brakes after completing an exam ?
    I tell myself that I'm going to take time off between each exam, but it never seems to happen that way. I'm usually so pumped up after passing one that I stop by Barnes & Noble on the way home and pick up books for the next...lol I did take a week off before diving into 70-291, however.
  • DionysusDionysus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zebra-3 wrote:
    icroyal wrote:

I usually study 40-50 hours per week as well. I work 2nd shift help desk at a hospital (all alone, and I love it!). I get MAYBE 2 easy calls (password changes) at the begining of the shift and that's it.

If I get bored, I might do some studying at home too.

Now that I think about it, why am I working for all these certs? I don't know if I wanna leave this job.... lol
  • Irish ManIrish Man Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ps...I see you're from Toronto...Toronto, Canada?

Yeah I am from Toronto Canada, Mississauga actually.

Where are you from ?
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My average work day is non stop from 8:30am in the morning until whatever time I finish (normally after 6pm). I work 5 days a week (and some Saturdays), I’m then down the gym 3-4 times a week and fit in studying to / from work and at weekends or whenever I get chance. Currently averaging an exam every 2 months, good or bad? :S
    LukeQuake wrote:
    My average work day is non stop from 8:30am in the morning until whatever time I finish (normally after 6pm). I work 5 days a week (and some Saturdays), I’m then down the gym 3-4 times a week and fit in studying to / from work and at weekends or whenever I get chance. Currently averaging an exam every 2 months, good or bad? :S

It sounds like a reasonable amount of time to pass an exam to me. If i had no time at all during work to do my exams, it would probably take me 2-3 months per exam.
  • MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LukeQuake wrote:

bowing.gif
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MQuinn6 wrote:
    LukeQuake wrote:

bowing.gif

eh? :D
  • MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm just impressed with how much you're cramming into a week! I can't remember the last time I've seen the inside of a gym.