RIS Servers

How do people setup their RIS Servers?

Dont worry its not such a broad question as the above, what i mean is do you allow any PXE client to connect to the RIS server or only ones with pre-staged accounts.

Do you tend to have the machine set the computer name according to the first person logged on? Organisation name?

Or if you use pre-staged accounts how do you go about obtaining all the GUID's before hand?
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read in Mspress that you can allow RIS clients to connect to the RIS server during the RIS server configuration ( there is an option saying that clearly) or you can do it later.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Thanks for your reply but what I meant was do people add in computers via Active Directory using the GUID prior to connecting the computer or do they allow the system to create the computer account & computer name automatically.

As i know both would work (if setup right of course) just wondered what people did in the 'real world' as it seemed obtaining the GUID for each machine in advance was a bit of a PITA.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I asked one of the desktop deployment gurus in our company this same question several months ago. His answer was, when they do use RIS, they don't bother with the GUID. There is the whole factor of money vs time vs security. Granted it is more secure, but it takes A LOT more time to get the GUIDs for EVERY single workstation you want to deploy an operating system to, and thus results in a lot more money spent.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks