IS-IS protocol... does anybody use it?

mtbcyclistmtbcyclist Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have worked as a net admin at two different companies, and now work as a network engineer at one of the biggest ISPs in the US, and have NEVER seen IS-IS in use. Was curious as the CCNP book states that it is one of the most popular protocols out there for ISPs. So whats the skinny???

Comments

• romainromain Member Posts: 222
    ISP and some big companies use it. I'm working for and ISP who uses it inside his backone and some of our gold customers.
    It's definetly a core network routing protocol and a few company has the need for it.
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't know about the "best protocol" but one of the best things about IS-IS is it's scalability! And apparently that makes it so popular.
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rja wrote:
    ISP and some big companies use it. I'm working for and ISP who uses it inside his backone and some of our gold customers.
    It's definetly a core network routing protocol and a few company has the need for it.

Most of the networks I see use OSPF. Primary reason for that is OSPF support ipv6 (OSPF v3) where IS-IS does not.
  • NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NetworkGod wrote:

hmm thats interesting

i never knew that isis support ipv6 too.thanks for the update
  • romainromain Member Posts: 222
    rja wrote:

Most of the networks I see use OSPF. Primary reason for that is OSPF support ipv6 (OSPF v3) where IS-IS does not.
    Give me some examples of ISP implementing IPv6 inside their backbone these days ?!...
    Hard to believe for me, maybe I'm wrong... icon_rolleyes.gif
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • gibby1801gibby1801 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The bsci book from ciscopress says that IS-IS is preferred b/c it will easily use IPv6....

I agree that not many large networks use IPv6 at all due to lack of software support.[/quote]
    Josh Gibson
    CCNA