Visual Basic 2005 (70-536)

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have very basic programming fundamentals. My company is requiring me to do 70-536 to have programming knowledge. I know my options are between Visual Basic 2005, C#, and C++. Now I don't have much experience with VBScript but I plan on focusing in scripting when I have time. My question is, how closely does Visual Basic 2005 code resemble VBScript? I am hoping that from focusing on Visual Basic 2005 on this exam and really trying to learn it well will help me as an admin being able to write/modify VBScript code.
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• vkshresthavkshrestha Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You dont have to worry about VBScript.
    If you know Visual Basic, you will know 99% of VBScript automatically.
    And these days VBScript is used very rarely, you might not need to learn it at well.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    VBScript was derived from the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) language. Because the languages are so similar, VBA programmers usually have no problems learning VBScript. However, VBA programmers are often frustrated by the limited functionality of VBScript, but these limits are common to all browser-based scripting languages.

The disadvantage of using VBScript is that it's only supported by Internet Explorer. Your VBScript code will not run in any non-IE browser (e.g., FireFox, Opera, Safari, Netscape). JavaScript has become the universally-supported Web browser scripting language, and it's the scripting language that I recommend Web developers learn to use.

Between C#, C++, and Visual Basic 2005, it's my opinion that you'll have the easiest time learning Visual Basic 2005.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    vkshrestha wrote:
    And these days VBScript is used very rarely, you might not need to learn it at well.

Really now? Where did you hear that?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's interesting to compare the popularity of JavaScript and VBScript by looking at the detail on their respective Wikipedia pages: JavaScript and VBScript
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icroyal wrote:
    will help me as an admin being able to write/modify VBScript code.

Like icroyal, I'm coming from a systems administration view. It's still widely used for administration across MS networks. As far as web development, yeah, you never see it. It's all java.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    icroyal wrote:
    will help me as an admin being able to write/modify VBScript code.

Like icroyal, I'm coming from a systems administration view. It's still widely used for administration across MS networks. As far as web development, yeah, you never see it. It's all java.

Yep, exactly.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems as from the replies, it makes sense for me to do Visual Basic. Not because it's the easiest of the three, but because it will help me get started learning Vbscript which will help my administrative capabilities as a Windows Administrator.

I can't wait to get started on this exam. I have to spend most of my time at a client for the next couple of weeks so I won't be able to get started just yet. I have 2 books ready to learn this material as well as plenty of CBT Nuggets and MSDN online resources. This is probably going to be more difficult for me than any of the Windows exams as I don't have any programming experience as I stated earlier. It's ok, I like challenges and I'm looking forward to advancing my VB knowledge/skills.

Again, thanks for the replies everyone, it's been helpful.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks