Options

Supporting Lotus Notes... Corporate Environment

Brandon779978Brandon779978 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello... I was looking for some pointers or references that somebody could point me towards that deal with supporting lotus notes...

providing everything goes well i might have my first helpdesk position... EVERYBODY within this company uses lotus notes i guess... I'm assuming R6 or some variation...

I've looked at get one of these two books...

Mastering Lotus Notes & Domino 6
by Cate McCoy (Author), Matt Riggsby (Author), Scot Haberman (Author), Andrew Falciani (Author)

or...

Special Edition: Using Lotus Notes & Domino R6
by Jeff Gunther (Author), Randall Tamura (Author)

Both seem to be pretty extensive... they also have a nice size database of common/known issues i could work with providing i get the job... i'm just looking to get more familiar with the client side of things and some of the server side...

maybe some of you who have supported notes before could give me some tips as to what i should focus on at first... any websites, faqs, or forums that you believe would be helpful...

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'm surprised anyone is using Lotus Notes. It's been years since I"ve had any clients with it and those who did....we got them into Exchange.

Try Google:

http://www.lotusnotes.com/

http://www.computergripes.com/LotusNotes.html

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/lotus/
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Brandon779978Brandon779978 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well, i'm just a newbie trying to get into the tech field... so i wouldn't know any better but after doing some research it seems as if Microsoft is winning the battle of email as well... go figure.

I like Microsoft products myself. Not that i'm well skilled in exchange/outlook either but i've at least had a course in college at it doesn't seem nearly as complex or overloaded as a notes/domino environment. It might just be because i'm used to Microsoft...

I don't know if i have the position yet or not... but either way, i think i need to at least get a little more familiar with it as most of the helpdesk positions i've applied for in the last couple months have listed it as a requirement.

thanks for the links... I had already previously went through the lotusnotes.com... IBM's website is a jungle.

anyways... has anybody read either of the books mentioned in my original post?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Probably not going to find many people who have read either of those books unless they use Lotus Notes and frankly, you may be looking for a needle in a haystack on that one.

In any case, good luck. If one or both books interest you, go ahead in invest in them and brush up. Doesn't hurt to be informed and you may find used books at www.alibris.com or www.amazon.com so it takes some of the sting off the cost.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I administer Lotus Notes in our environment and yes it is still used alot out there and does have it's advantages over Exchange and has it's cons of course.

1 advantage in Lotus Notes is a very fast restore process. You can restore a users Mail file directly from a backup set to the server (without dismounting stores etc). In Exchange it is a long annoying process :)

A con is it is not intergrated with Active Directory, so you have to setup all users again in Lotus Notes.

I cant provide any resources for you as have taught myself from experience, but Google around like PlantWiz suggested and you will find some resources.
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could as well download from ibm.com a trial version of Lotus Notes 7 client and server, then set up the server on your computer and play around with the client.

The "trial" version you get from ibm.com is a full version working as long as you want btw.

I'd say the main feature you have to be confident with in Lotus Notes is understand how to setup a local copy of the email, creating a local location profile, and use the Replication.

Also for the people here comparing Lotus Notes to exchange, Lotus Notes is not only an email client, it is more than that.

it is also an instant messaging, browser, notebook, and calendar/resource reservation client, as well as a platform for interacting with shared databases, documents and discussions.

Security is also a big asset of Lotus Notes.

Good luck.